Carb tuning crf150f
  • KelseyFelgner

Carb tuning crf150f

by KelseyFelgner » Sun May 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Hello! So this is my first bike. It’s an 04 crf150f, and I’m trying to fix it up.my bf has a 250r so he’s not familiar with carbs. We bought the bike used, I am it’s 3rd owner. First owner prob didn’t know what they were doing, broke peices and lost them. 2nd owner just kept the gas tank full and cleaned the bike. I have so far cleaned and replaced and oiled air filter, replaced spark plug, rebuilt carb with Motorsport kit, and replaced all tubing off the carb to the bike. It does start for sure and runs, but bf says it doesn’t sound right. Basically, we have no clue how to tune it, and which screw controls the air/fuel ratio. We turn one, and fuel starts dumping out overflow tube. Turn the other and that stops it but then it idles too high or too low. Basically, we need dummy101 on proper way to get this girl running without fucking something up! I just bought a manual online but it won’t be here till Thursday. I can attach pics or videos that would help people better answer my question. Any help welcome!
    -Kelsey
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Carb tuning crf150f

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Kelsey and welcome to the site.
    Need to know a little more about your bike.
    Does it ride ok, all bikes can sound different?
    What jets does it have?
    The needle and clip position?
    Height above sea level?
    Has the airbox been modified?
    Is the baffle still in exhaust, it will be loud if it is removed.

Fuel shouldn't run out the over flow so suggests something is not right with the float or needle and seat.

Probably best to wait for the manual but in the meantime do your best to answer the questions above to help identify the problem.

A photo of the top of the airbox would confirm if it has been modded.
    A picture of your bike because we all like looking at bikes!
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Tue May 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Does it ride ok, all bikes can sound different?
    - I’ve only really gotten to ride it up and down the street. But for how much we have ridden it (again, not much, plus is just is getting warm here) it rides fine! Bf was happy with it when test riding it before purchasing but could tell something wasn’t 100% but with age and use it was expected, and has been hit or miss sounding great as we clean and replace parts. Will post an older vid of us turning it on.
    What jets does it have?
    -we replaced stock jet with new 95, but I have an 80 or 90 jet as a second choice.
    The needle and clip position?
    -just replaced needle, the clip is in the center/ middle slot, I believe out of 3 choice, but my new needle may have 5 choices? I’d have to check packaging. Regardless, I know it’s in the middle one.
    Height above sea level?
    -994’
    Has the airbox been modified?
    -bf says no. Just got a new filter.
    Is the baffle still in exhaust, it will be loud if it is removed.
    -bf says baffle is still in exhaust.
  • KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Tue May 07, 2019 6:00 pm

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YM8PzH ... v-owOdzGrA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0LAjdne ... UvadhHnpJw

I have no idea if those will work or not, but my phone will not let me upload the pictures because the files are too large! Fingers crossed! There’s some wicked before and afters
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 am

Hi Kelsey,
    Well the bike looks neat and tidy and sounds like a typical 150F.
    Had you warmed it up or was it still a bit cold?
    Seems to have good throttle response if it was cold. Normally stall when cold without the bigger idle jet.

From memory the idle jet was either a 38 or 40 standard with 98 main std.
    Not sure how you ended up with a 95main. Most seem to use a 42 idle jet.
    You can check that when your manual arrives.

Is the needle the same or a different replacement? Is the snorkel out of the airbox?

Looks like a small furry animal prepare for winter in the airbox, looks to be nuts or something in there.

Remember these are 2 vavle engines as opposed to the 4 valve of the bigger motors, so do sound different and rev slower.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

in that video, it was cold! our problem is that we replaced a small needle like pin in the front of the carb (front meaning facing front tire) and once we replaced that piece, it doesn't sound the same anymore- i'll upload a new video soon for reference. as far as main goes, I am just going off the very small numbers engraved into the brass filaments (the screw we recently replaced is on bottom next to bowl drain plug. I think I included a pic of it in my last montage. needle is longer than old one- but we lined it up to match old placement on OG needle. snorkel is out!
    yes, that poor creature lost all its winter store ;D we laughed so hard when we opened that up!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:24 am

Hi Kelsey,
    Here is a link to Rick Ramseys page showing the PD carby.
    https://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fcarb.htm

It is off a CRF230 but carby is same style. This will give you a good idea of what the parts are normally called to make it easier to identify which part we are all talking about.

I believe you are talking about the fuel screw not being right after you replaced it. This is the one which has the spring that goes on first, followed by the metal washer and lastly the rubber o ring.
    When you replaced the original did all of the original o ring come out? Sometimes they don't and when you replace the assembly it doesn't seal up properly and causes bad idling issues. This screw is normally gently seated and unscrewed 1 1/2 to 2 turns out. It is then adjusted when the engine is hot to get the best even running and highest idle speed. To far one way or the other and it will run rough or not at all. You can then adjust the idle speed with the black knob.

Hope that helps
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Fri May 10, 2019 2:15 pm

that is exactly the piece I’m referring too! And now that you say that, we don’t remember an o-ring coming out when replacing that part which would explain why it’s running rich if there are two o-rings in there! We will check and respond after the weekend, with hopefully better news! Plus, manual came today and we found idling speed specs so fingers crossed! Thank you so much!
  • KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Sun May 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Pulled carb off and took out fuel screw and sure enough OG o-ring and washer never came out! Got them out and replaced it and it sounds much better! Taking it riding this week!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Cool.
    You still might have to juggle the main jet or clip position but that is just normal tuning.
    Let us know how the ride goes.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• KelseyFelgner

by KelseyFelgner » Mon May 27, 2019 8:31 am

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0MR6ZpO ... ucyrus,_OH

Riding for the first time all fixed up! Riding today on a track!