2003 Honda CRF 150F
  • jeffshonda

2003 Honda CRF 150F

by jeffshonda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:20 pm

So I have two 2003 crf 150f's. Ones mine, the other is the wifes. Anyways when I go to ride both of them kinda on the aggressive side on the mini-moto track when I come off a jump and land harsh they both cough and sputter like they get chocked out from fuel. My wife never has an issue with both bikes. My buddy hopped on both of my bikes and he had the same issue with landing hard after a jump and they both coughed and sputtered until they get cleared out.... probably a good 20 seconds they cough and sputter.
    I'm going to check float levels but on both bikes being wrong? The carb floats are stock and Ive never messed with them. My question is.....can these little carbs take such a beating after a set off mini-whoops or a set of mini-jumps? If I roll thru the jumps and be light on landing then both bikes seem fine. Both bikes have BBR rev box, pipes, airbox mod, twin air filter, power up carb kit, and 3rd over size OEM Honda pistons.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: 2003 Honda CRF 150F

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Could it be your wife is lighter than you so there is less compression of the suspension on landing? The extra movement or bottoming is probably too much for the carby, assuming it is a fueling problem.
    Your list of mods doesn’t say springs so assume are stock.
    The 150F is a fun bike not an mx bike so the components that make it up weren’t designed to moto.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • jeffshonda

by jeffshonda » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 pm

We're racing them in the Mad dog class on Flattrack and TT tracks. Both bikes have BBR fork spring and BBR shock springs. The rear shock has been drilled/tapped for a shrader valve so we can charge the rear shock with nitrogen.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 am

Still 20 secs is a long time to be running poorly after a landing. Does it belch any black smoke when running badly.
    Perhaps the landing is enough to force down the float so some flooding occurs.
    Can't say I have heard of it before though.
    Make sure all the vent hoses are clear and not getting squashed on landing.
    You could replicate that by pinching them off then go for a quick blat.
    If it dies that may be an issue.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas