big bore options for 2006
  • barfy

big bore options for 2006

by barfy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:29 am

So my kids(16) bike is a uncorked 06. He now wants some more power. We ride mostly single track. I see that athena make one for a 07 and up but not for the earlier ones, did the jugs change?
    I also stumbled across some chinese ones on ebay but that makes me nervous. I was hoping to not send out his jug to get bored.
    Are there any kits i'm missing? any to stay away from?
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: big bore options for 2006

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi barfy and welcome to the site.
    Something you will have to check is how bigger bore you can get before you can no longer use the standard head gasket and have to start using expensive specialty gaskets.

Looking at the parts list the barrel and base gasket are same part numbers for a 2006, 2007 and 2017.

I think you can get to 250cc before you run into trouble from what I have read.

I think a better bang for buck would be install a better camshaft that can still be used with standard valve springs and rejet. Check that it doesn't kill the low speed tractability just for top end power.
    A good cam for a 230 will improve torque across the rpm as they are a short duration cam to start with. Always use new rockers with a new cam no mater what. Keep the old ones labelled with what lobe.

That assumes the bottom end is still OK. They do last if oil is changed.
    A fresh slightly higher compression piston and rings might help freshen it up too, and the cam manufacturer would be able to suggest what compression to use.
    Don't go too high on the compression, 10:1 would allow standard fuel with a bit of a cam and shouldn't cause detonation. There are higher compression pistons around but would need to be used with bigger cams, ported heads etc.

The thing is any engine is a sum of good parts that work together.
    This engine can be made to be fast, it is just the cost easily gets crazy.
    Then you need suspension to keep up with the power.

If your son wants to go faster at some point it needs to be considered to upgrading to either a 250 or 450.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • barfy

by barfy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Thanks for the info. We are looking into changing the cam too.
    Its interesting that the part numbers didn't change. I have an email into Athena to see whats up
  • barfy

by barfy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Someone mentioned that maybe the pistons,rod or crank are different
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Another issue with some big bore kits is whether there need to be some relieving of the cases to get it all to turn over.
    If you have to start splitting the cases and grinding metal out then you are reaching a new level of modification.

If you go into the shop tab above and go to OEM parts and follow the dropdown boxes you can check whether cranks, rods and pistons are the same.
    I wouldn't think there would be much change other then if there was a change of supplier which sometimes results in a different part number.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas