CRF230 Stator test procedure
  • Eric-NC

CRF230 Stator test procedure

by Eric-NC » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 am

Hello All,

Does anyone know the resistance the black/red wire should be to case ground on the stator? (Stock CRF230F)

This is the stator winding that runs to the ignition control module. I have a no spark condition and not getting near an ohm reading right now. My meter is showing figures in M-Ohms range so thinking I need a new stator, but wanted to confirm what the official resistance should be.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Eric & Cole

Raleigh, NC
    JimDirt

Re: CRF230 Stator test procedure

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Ray is our 230 expert here , hopefully he will chime in soon
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Well Eric-NC the good book from Honda no longer gives resistance readings as they only tell part of the story.
    Instead everything is expressed in peak voltages measured with the overpriced peak voltage adapter available at overpriced dealers I am sure.
    The peak voltage for the exciter coil (black/red) is 100 volts minimum.
    The ignition pulse generator should have a peak voltage of 0.7 volts minimum.

The ignition coil primary should be 70 volts peak.

A design for a simple peak voltage adapter can be seen here.

https://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopi ... er#p337552

The Mohms doesn't sound right and I am not near my bike today to check resistance. Did you measure at the ICM or down at the alternator?

I would check connectors and wiring as a matter of course.
    Double check the earth connection at alternator and ICM ends. Have experienced trouble with that in the past. Ended up reterminating one in the past. Easy found just measured across joint.
    If the coils in the stator are going to be high resistance check at either end of coil. It is where they seem to break, had to add a bit of wire and a sleeve once. Lot cheaper than a new coil. Maybe I am just tight or stubborn too.

Just checked my old CR manual and assuming exciter coils haven't changed much between 9-25 ohms.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:03 am

If you are only getting a slight mil-ohms resistance reading and are certain that you are checking directly to the stator wires - It's toast.
    Just be certain you are not testing through a plug or connector that could have a fragmented wire.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200