Clutch stiffness
  • jclark

Clutch stiffness

by jclark » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I passed my beloved 230f onto my son, and he's struggling with the clutch stiffness. I tried a washer to reduce preload on the clutch springs, which didn't help. I also had tried Moose Racing EZ3 clutch perch, it seemed to like to shred cables due to how the cable slides in the mechanism. The only thing i haven't tried is a more expensive lever like: https://shopping.powersportscanada.com/ ... ivot-perch. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the stiffness? Could there be anything mechanically wrong in the internals that cause stiffness?

Thanks!
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Clutch stiffness

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:30 pm

How do you think the clutch felt since you rode it first?
    Is this a factory clutch or aftermarket?
    How old is you son?
    Mine started on normally clutched bikes at 11-12. He was a tall strong fellow but still took a while to get hand strength and use to vibration causing numbness on long rides.

Have you lubed the cable?
    Assume clutch lever pivot isn't to tight causing binding.
    Make sure lubed at clutch housing pivot as well.
    Look at the leverage ratio of the levers you have as some shorties are harder to pull.

Remove the washer you reused to reduce preload on clutch springs.
    Whilst you are in there make sure the basket isn't notched as that wouldn't help to disengage so you try to pull harder on the lever.

Hope that helps but you probably have tried these things already.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas