New To Me '15 CRF230F
  • FilthyPlumber

New To Me '15 CRF230F

by FilthyPlumber » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am

Hey there ladies and gent's, just picked up a new to me 2015 CRF230F from a friend. He bought it for his wife and she only road it a couple times and I finally convinced him to sell it to me. Probably has about 10 hours on it. It's completely stock except for the FMF PowerCore 4 pipe. Has't been ridden in 2 years so I plan on doing a full service on it including checking the spark plug, draining the tank, new fuel line, clean the carb (and probably re-jet while I have it out), change the oil, check the brakes, lube the chain and replace the air filter.

Anything else y'all think I should do before I hit trails?

I'm planning on putting a shorty cluth lever, bark busters and re-jet the carb and then just have fun. :D
    Livermore, CA

2015 CRF230F
    86'd snorkel
    FMF PowerCore 4
    +600-2400'
    40-95*F
    45 pilot
    132 main
    Clip in 4th position
    Featherweight lithium battery
  • Back2-2

Re: New To Me '15 CRF230F

by Back2-2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan. =DD
    Take your time checking out the carb - hopefully it did not sit with fuel in the carb. Otherwise for the brakes it should only be a fluid flush and good as new. A manual is definitely a good thing to have while doing your maintenance.
    Have fun working and getting to know the bike - then go ride it and have fun. :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Since it has had a little riding time I would spray your favourite anti seize (kroil, wd40 etc) on to the spoke nipples and give the wheel a spin to work it into the threads. Next day work the nipples back and forth to ensure they are free. Might have to tighten them a little and evenly now they have bedded in.
    Just check the axle nuts and sprocket nuts are still tight. General maintenance stuff really.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • FilthyPlumber

by FilthyPlumber » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks you two.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the rejet.

Im fairly certain I'm going to get the CRFSONLY kit and include the fuel screw stuff. I ride from 600 to 2400 ft with temps from 40 to 95*F most often and I think the 132 Main with 45 pilot will suit me well (and the 135 comes in the kit too). Unless anyone thinks I should go with the 135 main with the FMF pipe?

I was looking at batteries (current one is dead as dead can be) found one called a Featherweight. No reviews but it's sold by a couple different places. Only weighs 0.9 lbs. Does anybody have any experience or heard anything about them?
    Livermore, CA

2015 CRF230F
    86'd snorkel
    FMF PowerCore 4
    +600-2400'
    40-95*F
    45 pilot
    132 main
    Clip in 4th position
    Featherweight lithium battery
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 pm

If the battery is that light it is probably a lithium Iron. Price will tell you. They lithium iron batteries are fine, light weight and long lasting. They are usually just quite a bit more expensive then lead acid or AGM batteries.

One thought I had was - If the bike was sitting but the fuel tank and carb bowl drained before sitting you may be able to just add fuel and be good to go. I just brought a Yamaha YZF450 out of storage for 10 years. Added fuel and a new battery and it fired right up and ran fantastic. The only thing I did before storage was drain fuel and added a slight amount of preservation oil to the carb.

Good luck with the de-hibernation. Isn't fun to work on your bike! :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200