Electrical mod
  • kiko

Electrical mod

by kiko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 pm

My 2009 CRF230F came with a factory headlight (AC 35 watt bulb). It is worthless. I want to replace and upgrade with 2 LED light bars at 10 watts@ so total 20 watt draw. If I source the 12v DC power supply on the downside of the ignition switch, will the wiring harness handle the load? I want the lights on at all times so there is no need to splice in a switch. I want the lights on only when the engine is running.

If I wire direct to the battery with a fuse and switch, then more than likely some day I will forget to flip off the switch and then dead battery.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Electrical mod

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Best way would be to use a relay set up so the leds are or only on when ignition switch is on. I use twin halogens, so can still use ac lighting winding in stator. The current draw with leds are lower so wiring shouldn't be a problem an if you use a relay you can install new wiring to the leds. Need to keep an eye on how well the stator charges the battery though.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • kiko

Re: Electrical mod

by kiko » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 pm

I was lazy and wired the LED headlight and tailight direct to battery with switch on handlebar. Then the first day I went for a long ride I went out to the bike three or four times because I could not remember if I had switched off the lights at each stop. So tonight I went out and added the relay triggered by the ignition wire and then powered the lights thru a handlebar switch. No worries.

Now that the light relay issue is resolved, I am thinking about a Chinese pumper carb clone, copy Keihin PD-03A. Tuning that should keep me busy for the rest of 2018. LOL One guy on another web board suggested that you buy two at once so you can rob parts to get one to function. Then return the other for credit. Great idea.