Engine help !!!
  • icepilot

Engine help !!!

by icepilot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 am

OK long story short somehow after i disasembled the top end of my engine. Things got moved (Crank turned) and the cam chain has become wraped up in its drive gear. I am not able to turn the engine in the opsite direction of rotation? is this normal and dose anyone have any ideas how to get it undone ? [/img]
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

Your image wont show up unless you use a hosting site like Image Shack , etc

What i am guessing is the chain has become stuck at the guard that prevents the chain from coming off the crank gear , if it wont pull back up (it should , but) ,then you will have to remove the ignition cover (this is assuming that you have already removed the Chain Tensioner and it still would not come out) , and try to get behind the flywheel to dislodge it with a screwdriver or similar slim tool , while tugging on the chain from top , if you have a flywheel puller (specifically for the X) , then pull the flywheel so you can easily dislodge it , but most likely its draped over the guard that keeps the chain on the crank gear and stuck there , and that is why its not lifting

What you "should" have done was wire the chain up on the frame after removing the head and/or cylinder , then pass the wire thru each as its assembled , this way there is always tension on the chain holding it up till your ready to put it over the cam gear

Oh !! , Welcome to the site !! \:D/
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho