Tubliss Tires
  • Just034

Tubliss Tires

by Just034 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am

I just got back from 3 full days of riding in Moab Utah including going up pritchett canyon http://www.4x4now.com/33jspc.htm I have only been riding a few years. I installed the tubliss system both front and rear the week before the trip. I was worried to try a new setup when I could be many miles from the truck and SOL if it did not work well. My buddies were a bit intrigued and skeptical. I don't usully ride such difficult trails and was worried I would need to have my friends help me up some sections. I aired down the tubliss tires to 7 rear and 9.5 front. I rode up every obstacle without any assistance far surpassing my usually skill level. The tires hooked up unlike anything I have ever ridden. I felt like my dunlop 756's were trials tires. They also were awesome in the deep sandy washes. The suspension and tires were better everywhere. The tubliss system made me a better rider everywhere. All my buddy's (these are the same guys who sold me my first bike in 05 and showed my how to ride in grad school) kept commenting on how well and improved I was riding. I really felt like the tubliss system made a significant difference in how well the tires gripped and tracked in every condition. I am a believer. I gave away all my spare new tubes and will not be going back.
    djh65

by djh65 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

very cool. :)
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 am

They are no joke. I completely love them personally.
    They have no drawbacks whatsoever but cost,and that'll be changing. Doug
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:36 am

We've got all three Tubliss sizes in stock:

21"
    18"
    19"

Here's a link:

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/advance ... ds=tubliss

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 am

I gave away all my spare new tubes and will not be going back.

Everybody thats lived with them feels the same way that I've heard of, including me.
    Nobody goes back, kind of like after you've had a good steering stabilizer. Doug
    frank821

by frank821 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Ok, I dont get it....

It has a tube in it.... Seems like alot of money and alot of crap to go through and still have a tube...
    Maybe I am missing something, i watched the video, and looks impressive, but what is the positives?

How much is the "high Pressure" inner tube when that gets a hole in it? and when it does, do you lose the bead on the rim?? And when that happens, you are SOL!
    05' CRF250R
    Pro Taper bars
    Excel Wheels
    Boyesen QS2
    AP Mod
    Kibblewhite Valves/Springs
    Pro-Action Suspension

www.pure-powersports.com
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 am

You did miss it Frank.
    The chance of getting a hole in that thing is right up there with being struck in the lips with a meteorite. Not only is it very robust material, it is big-time protected where it sits.
    Sure, you can still get a hole in your tire. But if you do, you can still continue the ride.
    You can change tires with such ease that you'll feel almost guilty. Almost. :lol:
    The advantages of a significant weight savings, being able to run lower tire pressures, of never,ever getting a pinch flat, etc.,etc are all very real.
    They are expensive, but they will outlast quite a few tubes.
    When you try one , you'll see what it's all about. When you change a tire with one installed already you'll be ready to send them a check. :lol: Doug
    frank821

by frank821 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:11 pm

dobent4@yahoo.com wrote:You did miss it Frank.
    The chance of getting a hole in that thing is right up there with being struck in the lips with a meteorite. Not only is it very robust material, it is big-time protected where it sits.
    Sure, you can still get a hole in your tire. But if you do, you can still continue the ride.
    You can change tires with such ease that you'll feel almost guilty. Almost. :lol:
    The advantages of a significant weight savings, being able to run lower tire pressures, of never,ever getting a pinch flat, etc.,etc are all very real.
    They are expensive, but they will outlast quite a few tubes.
    When you try one , you'll see what it's all about. When you change a tire with one installed already you'll be ready to send them a check. :lol: Doug

I read on further about them, and I do see the Pro's..
    But I am seeing alot of guys who use them are riding trails, rough, rocky terrain....
    I am MX, and was concerned about the jumping aspect, and bending rims...
    Overall, seems like a good choice....
    I am wondering though, when will the Hihg pressure tube need to be replaced, and how much is that? The whole $94?
    05' CRF250R
    Pro Taper bars
    Excel Wheels
    Boyesen QS2
    AP Mod
    Kibblewhite Valves/Springs
    Pro-Action Suspension

www.pure-powersports.com
    amaviper

by amaviper » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 pm

I have to agree with Frank on this one. I don't get it either. I don't see how you loose three pounds. I would think that the tubeless "tube" would weigh about as much as a normal tube. My "tire problems" are from freaking Hawthorne trees.. Three to six inch thorns that poke right through knobbies like a hot knife through butter. I've had them go through both sides of a tube. Doesn't the tire still leak once punctured? If that's the case, don't you have to run slime in the tire? I know my front won't hold air without a tube in it. :shock:
    '06 CRF450X; '07 CRF230F; '03 CRF230F; '03 XR100R; '03 XR70F; '79 KZ1300 A-1; '71 SL350 K1
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:20 pm

the high pressure tube is designed to seal off the bead and spoke holes to allow you to go "tubeless" in the rest of the tire. the high pressure tube is small by comparison to a standard tube and is made from a very strong compound so is very durable. if a leak in the tire occurs you can still run with the leak/flat because the tire stays fixed to the rim...a tire with a standard tube would eventually come off the rim.

hopefully this helps some.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 pm

I have to agree with Frank on this one. I don't get it either

But Frank gets it now ! :lol:
    One thing thats interesting is that you won't hear anything..at least I haven't...about the tube wearing out.
    Sure they will, and sure there's no such thing as anything designed to violate a law of nature being completely infallible.
    Thre biggest part of the cost is the incredibly high quality rubber the Tubliss is made of. Very nice stuff.
    In my case, I'mwhere I'd be at tube number three. That counts for something because good tubes aren't cheap.
    They don't save three pounds, but rears are about one pound. One pound unsprung is major.
    Don't forget the ease of tire changing. Anyone changing a tire with a Tubliss first time will be grinning ear to ear. Doug
    crazybrother

by crazybrother » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Just ordered a set on Wednesday... :D I'll let you know how mine workout. My last HD tube cost me $30.00. So I won't be buying anymore of those... If they last a year then I've broke even... :D
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
  • topgun

Tubliss Down Under

by topgun » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Been looking at these for a while ....

Always scared of getting a flat and wasn't keen on Mousses so ....

Bit the bullet and bought a set ... $100 US each ... a bit expensive but compared to a HD tube at $25 ea kind of economical given I replaced 3 front and 2 rear tubes this year ...

Followed the instructions which are very clear and simple ... thank goodness ..

Clean rim thoroughly ... put on rim tape ( supplied and is like narrow Duct Tape ) ... drill an 8mm and a 10 mm hole or use exsiting rimlock ones ... drilling one to 10 mm

Next is fit the small inner tube and pneumatic rim lock .... secret is to use plenty of soapy water and I mean heaps ... was able to slip it on with my hands ...

Next is to fit the tyre ... ( they recommend using new tyres - I used slightly used ones ) ...

Again heaps of soapy water all over the tyre beads and on the pneumatic rim lock ...

This is so cool and easy to fit or change a tyre !

You literally stick the rim inside the tyre with both tyre beads on the outside of the rim then just slip it on to the inside of the rim ... absolute piece of cake !! and no tube to pinch !! took like 2 minutes ...

Then tighten the big rear mean looking rim lock to 20 ft lbs .... then fingers crossed pump up the small inner tube to 110 psi ... yep 110 ...

And then the actual tyre - there are two valve stems - and fingers and everything else crossed all will seal and be good ....

I had 50% success .. rear was all good first go ...

The front hadn't sealed properly so following the instructions let all the aire out and slip the beads over the rim .... 2 mins again - poured in plenty of soapy water and bounced the deflated tyre a bit and tried again - bingo !! all good.

Pumped both tyres up to about 35 psi and left them for 4 days - held pressure like a bought one - maybe dropped 2 psi which could have been due to temperature changes ...

So rode on them today ... no issues and probably physcological but if felt lighter and was able to run 8 psi front and rear with no issues and great traction in the marbles...

Was a few rocky bits and purposely bashed through them - all good ...

So I will be running with them this season ...

Good Points :

- Virtually flat proof - unless you stake ya tyre
    - Can run low pressures and even flat according to the blurbs I have read
    - Tyre changing is easy and no danger of pinching a tube
    - Appear to have a long life span compared to Mousses
    - Reduces unsprung weight
    - No need to carry tyre levers or CO2 kit - will still carry a small pump

Bad Points :

- Not cheap - US $100 each wheel
    - Suppose to use new tyres
    - Can be fiddly to get a good seal although I did use a used tyre
    - Need a pump and tyre gauge rated to 120 psi +

Web site for more details :

http://www.tubliss.co.uk/

I bought mine here ...

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/advance ... s&x=16&y=8

US 94.95 each plus shipping
    ibow24

by ibow24 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

Waiting for my 18" Tubliss to arrive from Ken. Should be today. I've read older posts where it mentions to NOT use the existing hole in Honda rims. Haven't seen a reason why or if guys are using. So what's the deal? Are we using the Honda rim hole or plugging it up?

thanks
    Steve
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:46 am

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting a set, one question though, if you get a flat on the trail, is anyone using tire plugs like you can on atv tires? seems like a simple solution to a flat tire on a long trail ride, seems like my flats always come in the first 20 miles of a 120 mile day.