AT-How buzzy is it at 70 mph?
  • dsrpilot

AT-How buzzy is it at 70 mph?

by dsrpilot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 am

I'm looking at buying an AT (Africa Twin), and the weather back east here isn't really very conducive to a test ride just yet.

I'm a big Honda fan, but 4 years ago Honda didn't have much in the adventure category.
    I currently have a BMW F800GS [-X and at 70 mph on the highway I'm pulling over 4,200 rpm and in less than an hour my hands are shot. I've gone up in size for the countershaft sprocket, and it's helped a little, but made the bike more lethargic in the mountains.

I've run the CRF's only gearing calculator where the stock gearing will have me just a shade over 3,900 rpm at 70mph and I'm looking at alternate gearing, however it's not ALL about the RPM.

SO, to you AT owners out there, I ask, what is the ride like on the Africa Twin at 70'ish for an hour or more?
    '12 CRF450X - son
    '09 CRF250X and 2010 F800GS lowered - Wife
    '12 CRF250X and 2012 F800GS - me
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: AT-How buzzy is it at 70 mph?

by crfsonly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Welcome to CRF's Only. Final drive gearing is all about compromises. If you increase the low end it tightens all the ratios and increase RPM in each gear and reduces top speed in each gear. If you increase top end speed you increase the ratios between gears, reduce low end and reduce RPM's in each gear. So, you have to determine what you can live with and what you can't given the type of riding you do.

To your question, the AT runs comfortably at 70mph with the stock gearing. At over 80 you'll feel less comfortable even though the bike is stable.

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com