Metzeler MC360 tyres
  • particleastro

Metzeler MC360 tyres

by particleastro » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

Hello all,
    Took the crf out for its first off road jaunt a few days ago with a friend. Weather was cold and dry but the trails were wet and slimy. It quickly showed up the fact that the GP21-22 stock tyres are essentially useless in this type of terrain. I was hoping to be able to get by by riding slowly but the front was a mess and I could barely manage double figures in places.

Now it does get sunny here in the UK from time to time but the trails round here are always damp and muddy, occasionally become drier packed dirt and sometimes sandy in places. My KTM 400 had Michelin Enduro Mediums on it which were lively but perfectly usable on the road and excellent on the trails. These seemed like overkill on the CRF and anyway didnt come in the right size for the rear. Although I would say mileage wise Im probably 50/50 with the dirt I am quite happy to compromise on road manners for better off road ability. The local roads are all single track and I ride with a group on 125s so we are rarely above 40mph on the road anyway.

After a little bit of research on all the normal avenues (MT21s and the like, remember, you cant get D606s here) Ive decided to go for a Metzeler MC360 mid soft on the front, with possibly a mid hard on the rear if needed (the front on the stock tyres were so all over the place I have no idea if the back is suitable).

Ill let you know how I get on.

Oh I put some short levers I got off ebay on too which are much better than the standard ones.

John
  • particleastro

Re: Metzeler MC360 tyres

by particleastro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

Metzelers turned up today. Post man opened the door and pronounced I was lucky to get these, he was 'too tired' today!

Ive included a couple of pictures so you can see the difference in size between the new tyres and the stock IRCs. The front is a 80/100 mid soft and the rear is a 110/100 mid hard. Ideally I would have liked to have got the 100/100 but here in the UK there are not stocked anywhere.

You can see the front is very similar in size but the rear is quite a bit larger.

Ill get them fitted and let you what the clearance is like.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

Nice looking set of "meats" ! Definitely look like soft terrain tread.
    Hope they work out well for you.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • particleastro

by particleastro » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:34 am

Tyre now fitted. They look awesome, bit tight on the rear. The photo shows the chain guard is very close to the tyre blocks but there was some squaring up of the wheel required after, there is about 15mm gap which is narrow. I definitely would have preferred the 100/100 but the 110/100 fits. There is lots of clearance between the tyre and the mud guard (more than there was with the KTM and the Michelin Enduros).

Front also has lots of cleance. Overall happy with the fit, Ill let you know how they ride. Weve had lots of rain here recently and alot of the local lanes are closed due to damage but hopefully we'll get to go out somewhere.

Regards,
    John
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • particleastro

by particleastro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:46 am

Well, wow. These tyres are amazing.

Went out on the lanes on Tuesday, very wet with deep mud, roots and occasional gravel. These tyres gripped in everything, the read span up a few times in the really slippery mud but in a predicatble manner, and overall made the bike an absolute blast to ride.

On road they were a bit wobbly and very noisy but again felt secure at the modest speeds (40mph) I was doing. Rear is a 110/100 and I stand by my statement of getting a 100/100 next time as there was a lot of mud and sticks jammed up against the chain guard but nothing that impeded movement.

Highly recommend.

Regards,
    John