HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW
  • docsniper0007

HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by docsniper0007 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am

This is my 1st post so be gentle , I purchase a mint 2008 CRF250x with one problem- the Air-Fuel mixture needs to be adjusted. I purchased billet screw and went to work-when I got carb tilted I discovered previous owner had attempted this but completely flattened the head on brass screw. I have not been able to get needle nose on it and even tried heat shrink to end of screw driver-didn't work. Any suggestions would be highly apricated-ride on
  • Back2-2

Re: HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by Back2-2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 am

Hello, well you have a bit of a problem - but it's repairable. The A/F screw is under tension but not very tight and should be fairly easily reversed out.
    One option: Use a left hand drill bit 1/8" or smaller and see if it will get a bite on the screw and reverse it out.
    Second Option: Drill very small pilot hole in the end that is remaining and try to get a easy-out to bite and reverse the screw out. Third option: Carefully try to use a pick and tap on the outside edge of the remaining screw head and slowly turn it out.
    Hope that helps - let us know how you do.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    JimDirt

Re: HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If the screw is not broken off , are you sure it is not the D shaped screw ?? .if so there is a driver head for that

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3294

If it is not D shaped , but still not broken and has the slot but its collapsed , perhaps you can use a small (eyeglass screwdriver comes to mind) screwdriver to spread the slot enough to get a screwdriver in and then turn it out , or instead of using a heat shrink tube , use a small piece (about 2" piece) of a carb vent line , and slide that over the (it needs to be round and narrow) screwdriver blade/tip , leaving it extending past the end , so when you slide the screwdriver to the tip of the screw , it goes over it enough to grab , it might be tight enough to allow you to unscrew it , i believe the vent line should be small enough to get in the recess of the hole

If that is not a option , then about the only other solution I can think of , aside from what Neil mentioned already , is to remove the carb from the bike , and remove the float bowl , this should give you more access to the screw and you should then be able to unscrew it , either using pliers , or whatever you can use to grab it and unscrew it ...hope that helped ;)
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho