Well, for once, I'm ahead of you. My service manual just arrived.
I also used sort of a hybrid of your technique to remove the pilot needle. It took a little time, but I did manage to get it out and install the new one.
I can see the benefit of the remote needle, if for nothing else but to keep it from vibrating loose. What I did, is to add a small spring to the needle so it won't be so susceptible to moving. It worked out pretty well.
Once again, the bike runs a million times better. It starts much easier (maybe 3 kicks), idles well, is really responsive. It's very smooth running. It also seems to be running a lot cooler. But I don't know if this fixed my exhaust overheating issue. It even smells better in the garage. If it seems like it's running cooler, I'll replace the melted number plate, and it will look new again.
Now all I need is a helmet.
I can't say thanks enough. The bike is totally transformed.