crf250x 2006 low idle engine noise or at cold start problem!
  • laoenduro

crf250x 2006 low idle engine noise or at cold start problem!

by laoenduro » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Dear all,

First of all thank you for this great site. I'm very new to dirtbike and just got this great crf250x but there is a weird engine noise that I'm trying to figure out. I live in Laos and not much qualified mecanics for dirtbikes here.
    I put a link to a video for you to have a better idea of what it is.

https://youtu.be/Gghjj4pe39o

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Harkon

by Harkon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I have an '06 250x that makes the same noise. My guess is that it is the cam chain. Either the cam chain needs to be replaced, or the tensioner has failed. Apparently the tensioners do fail on these bikes, and it is the easiest to check as you don't need to open the case to check it. Otherwise you can remove the side cover on the left side and you should be able to see the bottom of the cam chain. If it's loose then that's the problem. As far as I know, of you remove the valve cover and the side case, you can remove and replace the chain. If you also need to replace the guides, then I think the head needs to come off.
  • Elwir

Cham chain

by Elwir » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

On my 06 iv had a similar rattle noise(probably cam chain) when idleing and running low to mid range rpm all gears. I bought a ebay manuel tensioner which iv been trying to figure out how to adjust it. Maybe the chain needs to be replaced?
    Harkon

by Harkon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:00 pm

This from another thread;

http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic ... +tensioner

"Given yours is already installed just back the adjustment bolt out until it's not touching the cam chain tensioner. Begin screwing the tensioner adjuster bolt slowly until you feel some resistance on the cam chain then stop. Rotate the motor forwards, while screwing the adjuster in until you feel the cam chain drag against the cam chain tensioner. Then back out the adjuster bolt 1/4 turn. It is critical that you do not have too much tension on the cam chain. Use two wrenches to tighten the jam nut.

Ken"