Need a good GPS unit
  • killab18

Need a good GPS unit

by killab18 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey whats up. ive been reading alot on gps units but cant seem to narrow it down.

this is what im looking for out of a gps unit.
    -track your trail you just rode. so you can take the same trail back or take it another day
    -save locations that you like.
    -be able to get back home/starting point any time.

I know all the gps units can practially do the above.
    -looking for one that can interact with other units for the purpose of knowing where another person is.
    -Being able to signal another person to come back to a certain location.

Basically we ride with 4 or 5 people and in heavy trails. We tend to ride a little bit and stop to make sure we are all together still.

but i would like a unit that say if i go down, and they dont stop, id be able to send them my location so they can come back. or they send me their location so i can catch up with them.

We will be riding alot in Vermont, NY, PA which ahve HUGE areas that are very wooded and can be easily lost in.

I think im held up on the Garmin Oregon series right now.

but can they send a location to another unit, and have it pop up on that other unit while its in use??
  • loff

by loff » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:03 pm

-looking for one that can interact with other units for the purpose of knowing where another person is.
    -Being able to signal another person to come back to a certain location.

You will need a Garmn Rhino to do the two things above. Your position is only sent to the other GPS when you hit the transmit button. You also will need to be within line of sight of the other unit to talk or send your position. I have the Rhino 110 and my buddy has the 120. It's not perfect, but I do like the setup.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6405
    FIDEL

by FIDEL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:41 pm

The Rhino is the one you want. But there is a limited range on the walkie talkies
    Thomas Wardrup Not Fidel lol
    Team CPR FAB
    A.S Racing Suspension
    68 All day everyday
  • jsmthjsmith83

Re:gps systems.

by jsmthjsmith83 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 am

Dear,the basic use of G.P.S(global positioning system)
    are to track the person via signaling,nowadays there are latest g.p.s are available with vehicle,there are also use of g.p.s for coverage sites or you can say
    mobile communication system.
  • Beambom

by Beambom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 am

Yo Killa, talk to the lizard lady at www.bajagpsguide.com. She can get you dialed on the right GPS choice. The Rhino is cool, but the screen is so small that it is hard to read while riding if you have it mounted on your bike. I have the Garmin Colorado 400t which is awesome. The lizard swears by the Garmin 76 for quick, ease of use on a bike. Both have big screens. The Rhino may be the only unit with a two way radio on the market. But the small screen makes it very difficult to use while riding.