Trail mapping
  • Nighthawk70

Trail mapping

by Nighthawk70 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Which if not all Garmin hand held units will allow me to create my own trail maps as well as share maps with other people who have compatibile units?

I'm also looking for a device that has a compass. I don't think that all of them do.

Also, on the trail mapping subject: Are there units with riding and atv trails already pre-loaded?
    Nighthawk
    06 CRF250X
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu May 29, 2008 2:14 pm

When you say, "create my own trail maps" do you mean track where you've been or set up a route of where you want to go? If so, the Colorado 400T is an excellent system that allows you to save and wirelessly share both. One excellent feature of this unit is it's loaded with topo maps. Excellent for trail finding/riding.

I haven't heard that Garmin provide preloaded ATV or riding trails but I'm sure there are private parties out there who have.

Ken
  • loff

by loff » Fri May 30, 2008 7:27 pm

You can create a route by picking Lat Long points off of Google Earth. Load the way points manually into you GPS, or load the points into your computer then transfer the points to your GPS. Ride the route.

After you are done you can save the track. Put the track on your computer. Now the track is saved as a file. Send the track to your friends that have a Garmin product.

If you need more help let me know. I'll do my best to help you through the steps.
  • Malloy805

by Malloy805 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:16 am

Loff
    Thanks for the great info. Just recieved my Garmin60csx and am learning to opperate it.
    I hope it becomes easier as time goes on!
  • ccmoran

by ccmoran » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:35 am

Nighthawk70

Check out the Garmin Rhino’s, they are a little more costly. But in the long run you will appreciate it. All yeah there is a compass on this device and you can create your own trail maps as well as share maps with other people who have compatible units.
    Thanks,

Chris

2007 CRF450X
    Steahly Flywheel Weight
    Engine Ice
    SRC High-Pressure Radiator Cap 1.6
    Air Box Mod
    CYCRA PRO-BEND RACER PACK
    WC Radiator Braces
    WC Rear Master Cylinder Guard
    Motomom

by Motomom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 am

I just got a Colorado 300 for my birthday. What a great gps. I can go into google earth, map out a trail and download it to the gps. Also I can reverse it and take a route that I rode, download it to google earth and transfer it as a link and email it to whoever wants a copy. Plus I bought the garmin 24k west coast detailed maps. Don't get the national geographic (I already wasted my money) it doesn't give you near the capabilities nor does it transfer to google earth. Love it!
    AMA Member - BRC Member - NMA Member

by 124 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 am

I've found when creating routees, ride slow!! The GPS can't keep the exact route because the sampling rate is sometimes slower than the twists and turns the trail takes when you're hauling! :twisted:
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    JohnnyAirtime

by JohnnyAirtime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:49 pm

124 wrote:I've found when creating routees, ride slow!! The GPS can't keep the exact route because the sampling rate is sometimes slower than the twists and turns the trail takes when you're hauling! :twisted:

You should be creating "Tracks", and when doing tracks... you can set it to track (drop breadcrumbs) as "auto" or via "seconds".

(IMHO) Routes are horrible and hard to work with.
    Johnny J.
    Help us fight Children's Cancer. Check us out at http://Cancer-RideForLife.com

'07 CRF450X
    '15 CR500AFX
    '10 Rzr 800S

'04 XR400R (Sold)
    '01 CR500R (Sold)
    '06 TRX450 (Sold)
    JohnnyAirtime

Re: Trail mapping

by JohnnyAirtime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Nighthawk70 wrote:Which if not all Garmin hand held units will allow me to create my own trail maps as well as share maps with other people who have compatibile units?

I'm also looking for a device that has a compass. I don't think that all of them do.

Also, on the trail mapping subject: Are there units with riding and atv trails already pre-loaded?

Go to Garmin.com and do some comparisons of each product. As yes, some come with e-compasses and some do not.

Some forestry maps have good trail systems, as well as some off-road type maps made for GPS. Some TOPO maps have a lot of trails too. It just depends on where your wanting and who offers for that area.
    Johnny J.
    Help us fight Children's Cancer. Check us out at http://Cancer-RideForLife.com

'07 CRF450X
    '15 CR500AFX
    '10 Rzr 800S

'04 XR400R (Sold)
    '01 CR500R (Sold)
    '06 TRX450 (Sold)