CRF150R Valve Shim Guide
  • ninjai

CRF150R Valve Shim Guide

by ninjai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am

Hi,

I just finished doing my first valve check and shim job on my 2008 CRF250X with the really good guide someone posted on here. I was wondering if there were any similar for the CRF150R? My wife has a 2007 and she's not good with air filter maintenance (now it's my job :roll: ) so I wanted to check the valves before we got out this year.

The clearances weren't great:
    L intake .004
    R intake .0025
    L exhaust .008
    R exhaust .009

So I need to shim 3 of them. I've determined which shims I need already.

The thing that's got me worried is putting it back together. I have the owners manual that tells you how to take everything apart and check for the valves, however there were 2 key pieces of information missing:

1. How to remove/install the cam shaft sprocket without it spinning (I managed to remove it by hand by pushing a hex key up and down like an impact gun lol, but lost as to how to get it back on to 15 ftlbs later)
    2. Proper removal without screwing with timing. I marked the sprocket and cam chain link as I did on my CRF250X, but unlike the 250X this sprocket comes off the cam shaft. Because there are only 2 bolts it can only go on 1 of 2 ways and I have a picture of it before I took it off so I think I can figure that out.

Any advice for 1 or 2? Is there no guide similar to the 250X one for doing a shim job on this bike? Thanks!
  • ninjai

by ninjai » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 am

I've solved this problem, and answered a bunch more questions regarding this. Go here to see me talking to myself :oops:
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Glad you worked it out. Unfortunately you will be getting plenty more practice - both of those bikes will require new shims about every 10 hours until you have the valve done. :cry:
    Official Lurker