Anyone been to Forrest hill
  • Throcman69

Anyone been to Forrest hill

by Throcman69 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Planning a trip for end of June and have never been out to Forrest hill. Just seeing if anyone here has any input on it or how it compares to other places in the sierras. Getting tired of deer creek,Miami creek, and elkins flat. Even Georgetown. Been all over those places. We're from San Jose so were trying to find a new spot within a 4 hour drive with a trailer. Ya I know longer weekends we would go to Stoney or mill creek but the shorter trips happen way more often.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 pm

i've only been once but it was absolutely awesome! great single track as well as other less challenging trails. it will give you all you want. scenery is incredible.

ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by crazybrother » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 am

I've been there several times :x I would recomend Stonyford over anything else in Nor-Cal. It has the best riding areas. And you can get any size trailer in with no problem.
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks ken I'll take your word for it. All the guys just got the passes from the wives so were good to go for June 29 up there.

Crazybro I know Stoney is the stuff but it's a good 6-7 hour drive with the toy hauler. Leaving late on a Friday after work the shorter 3-4 hours drives are easier. We usually take a three day weekend for Stoney I love some of those crazy long and steep hill climbs out there where it feels like they don't end and th forearm pump keeps coming. Or the nice long single track trail 20
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Throcman69...enjoy the riding. post some photos!

crazy...i rode stonyford the day before forest hills and stony was awesome too! very similar to some of the places i ride down here. i really want to make it back up there and ride both again soon.

by XVIga » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Forest Hill is nice, but camping is limited (specially with a large trailer). There is a nice private lake with campground near by, but you would have to trailer or walk the bikes in & out.

If Stonyford is too far, why not Hollister? Not too far from SJ and pretty decent camping.
    06 250X
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Aww dude I ride hollister about every other week. Two of my buds have red sticker bikes so we have to head out to the BLM trails to all play together this time of year. To us hollister gets old quick. Tons of kids on the weekends so can't just go blazing. Plus the sierras have way more challenging and scenic trails. Hollisters black diamonds are like green/blue trails at Georgetown or Miami creek. The only nasty trail at hollister is troll trail.
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Ya I did see camping is limited. we are changing our plans from Forrest hill to Georgetown. Less dust there too. It's sorta rocky and rooty.
    XVIga

by XVIga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

I figured you probably hit Hollister fairly often, as it's not too far from you. Forgot about red sticker season. :roll:

Foresthill is nice and can get crowded on weekends. If you do go to Foresthill for more than a day trip, I would recomend camping at Morning Star/Big Resivor. It's a private camp ground with a nice lake to swim in, and surrounded by the trail system. Only draw back is you have to either trailer or walk your bikes in & out of camp.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MED ... 301105.pdf

Georgetown has more challenging trails.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
    06 250X
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Well we're headed to forest hill after all. We should roll in around 7 pm Friday night. We want to try and camp at sugar pine campground. The toy hauler is only a 23' footer so it's easy to cram it into tight spots.
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Can you bring a toy hauler to this campground?

XVIga wrote:I figured you probably hit Hollister fairly often, as it's not too far from you. Forgot about red sticker season. :roll:

Foresthill is nice and can get crowded on weekends. If you do go to Foresthill for more than a day trip, I would recomend camping at Morning Star/Big Resivor. It's a private camp ground with a nice lake to swim in, and surrounded by the trail system. Only draw back is you have to either trailer or walk your bikes in & out of camp.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MED ... 301105.pdf

Georgetown has more challenging trails.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 pm

We will be camped out at sugar pine come tomorrow night. I'll take some pics of the ridding to share.
  • Throcman69

by Throcman69 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:16 pm

So we camped out at Parker flat since sugar pine campground is lame since no campfires are allowed. The riding was good but crazy dusty with the weird red dirt on the main trails and also really rocky out there. We did make it out to trail 5 which is super fun if you like the jacked up rock trails on cliff sides and steep. Of the 4 of us one buddy couldn't make it out on trail 5 between the lake and the main highway. Had to walk all the way down the canyon and ride his bike up for him and then wait for him to muster up the energy to walk up hill. He was totally physically beat after we got him out. I had to rub it in that he needs a push button to start the bike. I'm over kicking flooded bikes to death. Night night for him. I blew it I didn't bring the camera because there is a lot of really nice creek crossings out there. I only have a pic of my bike covered in the red dust once I put it back in the truck. The trails are a lil underrated out there too. Like some of their greens were blue and the blue we were on should have been a black for sure. that place would be sweet with a lil water on the trails.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

sounds like a great time minus the dust! ;)

by XVIga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Gotta love the magic button!! The trails are nice, but yes dusty. That red dirt gets slick too when wet. Ask me how I know. :roll: Glad you had a good trip.
    06 250X