Arizona Riding
  • Jethroaz

Arizona Riding

by Jethroaz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:10 am

Is there anyone out there who rides in Arizona? I'm sitting in Phoenix hoping to do some riding in the very near future but have no one to go with or even where to go. My bike is not a dual sport (no lights, mirrors, etc.) so I'm limited to riding off road only. As I said, I'm very unfamiliar with the riding scene here in this state so I don't even know where to begin. Not only that, but the the thought of riding by myselfs seems foolish. So, what do you say? Any ideas? Suggestions?
  • redrooster65

by redrooster65 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Jethro I ride frequently in the Prescott area, I don't make it to the desert very often.

If you ever want to head North let me know and I will show you around here.

The Southwest forum at TT has several Phoenicians on it, you may want to check there.
    Last edited by redrooster65 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Jethroaz

by Jethroaz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Excellent! That is exactly the type of riding terrain I was thinking about. I don't expect to be able to throw a leg over the bike for probably another 4 weeks but will be getting back with you soon on the subject soon. Thanks for the interest and info!
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 pm

For riding in the valley, best place is probably Pima and Dynamite, aka "The Power Lines." Another popular ride is the Crown King trail, and another trail near Lake Pleasant which is just named by the mile marker (sorry, don't know which one).

If you take the loop 202 East, exit 87N towards Payson, on the left after the Bush Highway interchange is the Four Peaks/Sycamore Creek trail system. That has some really good and extensive desert riding.

On this forum, Nightstalker, RLPII and helipilot live in PHX. Probably others too.

I am like redrooster65 and don't get to the valley very often.
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock
  • jj420h

east valley rider here

by jj420h » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I live in Mesa on the east side of town. We do off road only...no dual sport. Usually stay to the east side of the valley. Like to ride 4 Peaks and Sycamore as well as box canyon and out near the renassance festival. We usually ride every weekend. We all ride crf450x's. I am 31 and we have a few guys younger and a few older. Some of us are fast and some not...but we always ride safe and stay together. If you would like to join us sometime shoot me an email at jeremiahhancock480@gmail.com, and make sure to remind me about your post so I remember you.
    live 2 ride and ride 2 live
    RLPII

by RLPII » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:01 pm

The place that bosshaug1 talks about by Lake Pleasant is called the Boulders and it is at mile marker 11.5 North of Hwy 74. I have not riden there yet, but did take a drive out to check it out and hope to ride there for a couple of hours on Sunday (11/25) if I can drag my lazy A$$ out of bed before it get too hot.
    I drive slow and easy, I think I am over that "...hey I can do that...." thing. My wife rides too (CRF 230).
    Oh, I have 4 wheeled out by the Boulders, but that was several years ago, before it was a OHV area.
    Maybe we'll see you out there?

bosshaug1 wrote:For riding in the valley, best place is probably Pima and Dynamite, aka "The Power Lines." Another popular ride is the Crown King trail, and another trail near Lake Pleasant which is just named by the mile marker (sorry, don't know which one).

If you take the loop 202 East, exit 87N towards Payson, on the left after the Bush Highway interchange is the Four Peaks/Sycamore Creek trail system. That has some really good and extensive desert riding.

On this forum, Nightstalker, RLPII and helipilot live in PHX. Probably others too.

I am like redrooster65 and don't get to the valley very often.
    Bob
    ~The way I ride no need to worry about cholesterol~
    2005 CRF 450 X
    RLPII

by RLPII » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:33 pm

OK, the wife and I rode the Boulders today for a couple of hours. First time out in over 6 months and first time since moving here from Carson City Nevada. Boulders is a pretty nice place to ride. Lots of riders out so you need to be careful, but all kinds of different riding. We stayed low and on the "big" trails just trying to get our "Off Road Legs" back. No crashes for either of us - all in all a good day! I had to re-jet the Fo Fiddy, but must have hit it right as no problems with the performance and the suspension felt just about right, even in the woops at a moderate speed.
    Now I can't wait for next week! :D
    Bob
    ~The way I ride no need to worry about cholesterol~
    2005 CRF 450 X
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:08 am

I live in Casa Grande but ride all over this state, been riding here since 1983 and know a few good trails. shoot me a PM if you have any questions about anyplace in the state, be glad to answer. I'm just getting back into riding after a string of bad injuries left me out for most of the last 3 years, but 4 rides in the last 2 months have been very succesful and my bike is dialed, so I may even join or lead some rides here in the near future.
  • stellar

Re: Arizona Riding

by stellar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Jethroaz wrote:Is there anyone out there who rides in Arizona? I'm sitting in Phoenix hoping to do some riding in the very near future but have no one to go with or even where to go. My bike is not a dual sport (no lights, mirrors, etc.) so I'm limited to riding off road only. As I said, I'm very unfamiliar with the riding scene here in this state so I don't even know where to begin. Not only that, but the the thought of riding by myselfs seems foolish. So, what do you say? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Boulders is a good choice if you can't find someone to ride with. The trails are mostly marked and there is nothing too challenging. Four Peaks is allright during the week. Florence Coke Ovens is about 50 miles SE of Phoenix and is a blast but you may want to bring a GPS.

Hope this helps.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trai ... a_list.htm
    06crf250r#25

by 06crf250r#25 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Anyone know anywhere else to ride in Tucson besides Pinal airpark?? Everytime i ask people around town that seems to be the only spot, Pinal is cool and everything but just looking for a change. Anyone with any spots in Tucson (or fairly close to Tucson) please let me know.
    If i could, i would ride in my sleep!
  • cadams02

by cadams02 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey jethroaz, whenever you are ready to ride let me know. I live in north phoenix and Ive been to alot of trails out here. I have no one to ride with since my buddy moved so Im trying to find someone to ride with.
  • bionicman

by bionicman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I've quickly found that desert riding here in AZ - you need new tires.
    Traction is king!
    You cant milk a worn set of tires like back east.
    Also the terrain is really hard on rubber!
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 pm

welcome to the site bionicman!
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com