Locked 43 posts
Engine Modifications
    crfsonly
    Owner

Engine Modifications

by crfsonly » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:56 am

Please use this forum for discussions and decisions about engine modifications which should include everything from the intake to the exhaust and all parts in between.

ken
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:13 am

JD jet kit.
    TwinAir Powerflow.
    Side openings only.
    Napalm filter screw.
    Zip-Ty hot start nut.
    crfs only fuel screw, though they won't need to touch it.
    Trash the smog pump.
    Engine bling,red, all available.
    Rekluse with heavy duty clutch cover and Perch, hooked up to Works Elite clutch perch.
    Stock exhaust
    Bitchin CS guard
    Consider Stage 1 or 2 cam ? Yup, even with a stock exhaust.
    HammerHead shifter and tip.
    Applied crankcase vent system, or better yet copy Robs. (He's doing that for me next weekend).
    Doug
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 am

Go with the Anderson engine plugs ;) (subtle, eh?)
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:47 am

Dougs list minus stock exhaust. I don't know which one yet but it should be based on weight and performance not looks.
    rObs crankcase vent system fo sho.
    Has anyone actually put one of these aftermarket cams in? Does it change the engines linearness? I don't know if we should do the cam if we don't have some members who have tried and liked the performance change.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
    devistation

by devistation » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:56 am

I don't have one myself, but have heard & read good thing's about the Boyesen Accelerator pump?

I like Doug's list as well, and the idea of a stock exhaust on this bike. However RR has a great point about weight and performance?

another vote for -r0bs- crankcase vent
    Ernie Pezz

by Ernie Pezz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:58 am

Definately JD jetting, open airbox comp style if there are no regulations on that stuff. We might as well squeeze as much HP out of this bike as we can. Smog block off kit, Rob's crank case vent or the one Ken sells here. Maybe a cam like Doug said, if there is one that will enhance the motor to perform well in the type of riding conditions it will be tested in. Exhaust? Sure, why not trim some weight while we are at it. Quickshot AP cover, Twin Air Power Flow, and a CRF's Only fuel screw. Ernie
    Last edited by Ernie Pezz on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... cle&CID=29

Small enough cry babies?
  • Socal X Rider

by Socal X Rider » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:24 am

For sure JD jet kit. Everyone know why.

As for exhaust, gotta go with anything titanium. Im saying a Pro Circuit T-4 full system titanium. If sound is an issue, get the quiet core insert.

Next choice, would be White Bros top of the line carbon fiber. The one that has the red on the end of the exhaust.
    05 CRF450X
    02 RM250
    00 ZR-7
    NoWheeler

by NoWheeler » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:27 am

I think ultimately for the entire bike we should go for the "working class" of motorcycles, modifications geared towards boosting the bikes strong points and increasing its durability. KW valves and possibly larger case covers like the rekluse unit provides for more oil capacity. Maybe entertaining some innovative stuff that isnt seen on everyday bikes, adapting some ideas from other members. Framrails with fuel maybe??? or say the bajadesigns oil tank for the R i know the X in the dakar had one. Just take a large amount of these rather cool mods that we have put alot of our collective brains into and comming up with one bike that uses all of our ideas. ive already heard mention of an anodized frame, thats something we all like is anodizing stuff. Maybe even getting it on the ragged edge of dual sport legal. Something that not very many people think about Just throwing this out there, i know i want to be able to say i had a small hand in this he he he.

-Evan

p.s. sorry i like to ramble
    2003 CRF450R Loaded
    1999 TRX400EX Aka the Wheelie Machine
    2001 GTi VR6
    1994 Chevy 1500
    1985 Honda Odyssey (blown motor, movin to rotax, this thing is gonna be STOOPID)
  • Smash

by Smash » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:42 am

I'm saying let's go with a strictly bolt on affair to push the point of crfsonly.com (You can build this bike online, blah blah).

-Twin Air powerflow (not the cage system that is two pieces, I bought it and hate it), just the mid level one.
    -I'd say a JD Jet kit by I know Doug will have it covered.
    -Boysen Quickshot
    -Fuel Screw (crfsonly of course)
    -Maybe a stage 1 cam
    -Exhasut system (I'm still an MRD believer, full exhaust including header for the price of a slip on, and a warranty that if you ever damage it in a crash he'll fix it, doesn't get more offroad than that).
    -If we're opening the bike head up, then definately some port work.

J
  • whiteman

by whiteman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:34 pm

I can't take credit for this but I have seen the pink wire mod done where a small switch was placed in the air box. You could switch back a forth dependiing on the riding you were doing and what you needed. It was a great idea and was very clean install. I have only seen it once and don't think I have seen it on any other boards...
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Although it's not supposed to be a competition you know that it will be.
    On this exhaust pipe thing I like the stock idea but I'd sure understand if the bike winds up with a pipe on it ,hell I've got one on mine.
    These guys have been testing our bike though and writing about it without common sense modifications, which I think sucks, and it's because of a spasm of what they see as "resposible" behavior, when in fact regarding emissions it's b.s.
    For instance I know all about that you can make a stock X run "okay"jetting wise, but if you've never ridden one either jetted correctly which means not even close to stock OR with a JD kit you have no idea how different it is. You may have a bike that runs smooth and fine, but it's not even close. Yet these clowns test a 450X and they've got the smog pump on, a stock airbox, then install a 450 dollar ProCircuit pipe ! What the hell is that ?
    I just think it'd be cool to have a nearly stock engine with sharp jetting, that really runs strong, combined with being VERY quiet.
    We want them, even if not a competition, talking about OUR bike a lot.and a Rekluse ,great power, AND quiet may do it.
    This is from the drinking with your pinkie elevated KTMTalk site:
    It would be beneficial that our bike hands down wins the sound test along with the most usable power
    Man, they have a 300 against the world going on over there,trying to select a bike. I had one (a 300),didn't like it, and got a 250E/XC I liked a lot better.
    Regardless, isn't this fun ? Doug
    devistation

by devistation » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:19 pm

dobent4@yahoo.com wrote:JD jet kit.
    TwinAir Powerflow.
    Side openings only.
    Napalm filter screw.
    Zip-Ty hot start nut.
    crfs only fuel screw, though they won't need to touch it.
    Trash the smog pump.
    Engine bling,red, all available.
    Rekluse with heavy duty clutch cover and Perch, hooked up to Works Elite clutch perch.
    Stock exhaust
    Bitchin CS guard
    Consider Stage 1 or 2 cam ? Yup, even with a stock exhaust.
    HammerHead shifter and tip.
    Applied crankcase vent system, or better yet copy Robs. (He's doing that for me next weekend).
    Doug

I think everone will agree to Doug's list. Plus the boysen and exhaust pipe. Since there is such a small time frame here. We should get all the parts from here @ crfs only and decide on which pipe to use. also if were going to use a cam and do port work?

Does everyone agree?

get-r-done
    uniped

by uniped » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:44 pm

Engine;
    Rekluse Clutch
    Hour Meter
    Thermo Clips
    Black Renthal Sprocket
    T.M. Design SnG kit
    D.I.D. T-ring
    Twin Air power flow kit
    JD jet kit
    Boyesen Quik Shot
    Stage 1 Hot Cam

+ anything not here but on Dougs list
    Scott
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:48 pm

rekluse with rear hand brake option! Rekluse red clutch cover. quiet aftermarket lightweight pipe. jd jetting for sure. twinn air with cage. air box mods. hammerhead shifter. OFG
  • whiteman

by whiteman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 pm

I wouldn't do the hand brake. The testers will be switching bikes and something out of the norm will stick out and may not be liked. It seems that may take some getting use to. I know it may not take a lot of time but it will take time.
Locked 43 posts