Locked 47 posts
Dirt Rider's Internet Project Bike
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:06 am

rob...no real fiscal constraints have been placed on the project. we need to end up with a purpose-built bike that does extremely well what it was built for. so, with that in mind there are no limits really to what we can do to the bike.

one of the things we should think about is shaving weight were possible in a way that is reseasonable and enhances the purpose and performance of the bike. one of the reasons an aftermarket exhaust might be worth considering is the weight savings not to mention the performance and appearance.

once we get the bike and purpose/style of bike selected we'll get started on the mods.

it's going to be fun!

ken

oh yes, we at crf's only world headquarters will be building out the bike according to the spec determined here in the forum. depending on what, if any, engine and suspension mods are requested we may send that type of work out.

so, what's your dream bike...let's build it!
    uniped

by uniped » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:11 am

I f we do aftermarket we are going to need Gordons spec sheet to see wich unit offers the best performance weight savings and lowest Db. Ken can you get your hands on a Mic to test the exuast levels when done?

Scott
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:26 am

yeah...all i'll need to do is go for a ride on a saturday in any of the local riding areas and they'll test it for me for free!

ken
    -r0b-

by -r0b- » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 am

124 wrote:I'll throw in my lonely vote for the 450R. 250R is a little small for the intermediate rider at ~180lbs. I'm afraid if the X is chosen that someone will bring a dangerous katoom to the party that eats everything on the trail.

Ouch. I've ridden several well-setup KTMs and nothing I've sat on can eat an X's lunch save for on the top-end where their six speed tranny has a clear advantage.

"Eat everything on the trail?" I hardly think so.

Besides, if I read Ken's announcement correctly this isn't a shoot-out between bikes. It's just a review of how well the mods perform.
    -r0b-
    Middle TN

Lurker Extraordinaire
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:00 am

rob's correct...this will not be be a shootout or bike comparison. my guess is any comparisons will be done against their knowledge of the stock version of each bike.

ken
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 am

Doug you have a fine list, there are two things I think should be changed from it, one the exhaust for weight savings like I said earlier and two I think we should use rObs custom crankcase ventilation system instead of the applied. No one else will have one and I think it is the best solution for the crankcase. Additionally we definitely want Smashdatas dipstick.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
  • Smash

by Smash » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 am

I'm putting in a vote for the 450x. The reason being I think that the aftermarket for the bike is extremely hidden. Look at all the complaints about parts not being available for the bikes from the magazines. I think it would be the most beneficial for Ken to build. On the trails out here I see more 450x bikes than KTMs. And all of them are stock. I still haven't seen a modified one other than mine.

As for exhaust, it needs it, the stock exhaust is HEAVY!!!

If we want to represent the board well, let's just find a tank big enough to dunk the whole thing and anodize it pure RED.
    Last edited by Smash on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • whiteman

by whiteman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:05 am

Ken, After you finsih the bike maybe you could do a raffle to make back the money you spend on building the bike. Like $10 bucks a ticket and sell enough tickets to cover the cost of the bike and shipping to the winner. I would buy some tickets for a chance at winning this bike you will build. Say you spend $10,000 building the bike. You could sell a 1000 tickets and one of your mebers could have a chance at winning the bike.
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:09 am

You think Ken is going to want to get rid of it? That is going to become the number one bike in his stable.
  • Socal X Rider

by Socal X Rider » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 am

Im also going to have vote for the 450X.

As for graphics - I dig the One Industries David Bailey graphics kit ala 1986 for the CRF450R. I saw this bike out at Elsinore MX track this weekend and it looked very cool. Gold Excel rims and blue seat. Check it out at oneidustries.com, they have a picture of it.
    05 CRF450X
    02 RM250
    00 ZR-7
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:26 am

Ken how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?
  • Smash

by Smash » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:23 am

Nobody has mentioned suspension???

I feel it's a must, we most definately need suspension. One of the biggest improvements on my bike was going to Factory Connection and having the bike worked over. I was concerned at first about the return on my money, but after the first ride I would do it again in an instant.

We should be able to get someone to sponsor some of this. Maybe Race-Tech (Doug, did they get the spring thing figured out), I personally vote for Factory Connection if not Race-Tech, Chris there hooked me up.

J
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 am

I LOVE my Yoshimura exhaust, but it's really amazing just how good these things run with the stock exhaust, even with the insert in, so yes, I'd be looking to shock them with something like that.
    With the jetting/intake squared away they'll be shocked at how the bike can run, they never test an X without a lame-ass set-up, it's about time they do. Doug
    braap207

by braap207 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:57 am

I'll 2nd the 450r all around excellnet bike, with power delievery all around. The 450X is a great bike, but the "R" will get both the jobs at hand done, track and trail. for exhaust I'll suggest the NEW Rocket Exhaust. As for extras I'll start it for the 450R's
    Rocket Exhaust, Boyeseen Accerator Pump, Powernow system, Weisco piston Kit, Renthal chain/sprocket combo, RG3 suspension, RG3 lower linkage, Starcross tires, Bull-dog spokes, Twin-Air filter system, just a start but the R will be the talk of the town :!: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:57 am

Nobody has mentioned suspension???
    That is why I asked Ken his weight, we definitely need to get that done. Dirt Rider said for a 180 lb rider, I was hoping Ken will be in the 180-200lb range so he can test it :D.
Locked 47 posts