Advice from anyone who broke their wrist
    euromike_85

Advice from anyone who broke their wrist

by euromike_85 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:23 pm

i broke my wrist on october 31st last year, specifically my scaphoid and dislocated two others (i think the capitate and lunate) to make a long story short i have a ti skrew in the scaphoid and have done physio for about three weeks now. my question is that ive got a fair bit of mobility back but still not 100% and impacts hurt quite a bit. as one can imagine winter is coming to an end soon where i am located and would like to get back on the bike. but i dont think my wrist is ready yet. ive been working out the rest of my body in preparation but im not confident in my wrist yet. has anyone had a similar injury here, and how long did it take to get back to the point where you were comfortable riding? thanks for any input.

Mike
    2004 CRF250R
  • matt watt

by matt watt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I was riding again in about 4 months took 1 full year to be 100%
    04 CRF250X
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:26 am

matt watt wrote:I was riding again in about 4 months took 1 full year to be 100%

i see, did you have any problems adjusting when you got back on the bike?
    2004 CRF250R
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 am

Broken wrists suck! Last year was great for me but I broke my left wrist in 09 and my right wrist in 08.

Back to back years with broken wrists suck!

I suggest going to physiotherapy. They were great at getting my wrists moving and to gain strength. My left wrist was really bad. Actually I can still feel a bit of stiffness in it at times.

And the number one thing you should do is get a wrist brace! I got the Allsport Dynamics Carbon Fiber wrist braces and they are amazing!! Shop around online and you can find them for a good price!!
    motosicko

by motosicko » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:16 am

I scrambled my left wrist back in 1995 and had surgery and 5 pins. Took 16 weeks of heeling before they removed the pins, and another 12 weeks at the therapist before I got about 80% motion back. 16 years later I still only have about 90%. I was back riding after they removed the pins, but it hurt for several years afterward. Like mxracer76 said, get a good wrist brace, that will take a good bit of the hurt out of riding especially the after affects, mine was always much more sore the next day after riding. Wore the brace for about 2 years. Another good tool to getting it back in shape was exercising the wrist with on of these Powerballs.
    I got one of these and immediately noticed my wrist getting looser and more motion, and wasn't as sore from riding.
    http://www.nsdpowerballs.com/
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm

mxracer76 wrote:Broken wrists suck! Last year was great for me but I broke my left wrist in 09 and my right wrist in 08.

Back to back years with broken wrists suck!

I suggest going to physiotherapy. They were great at getting my wrists moving and to gain strength. My left wrist was really bad. Actually I can still feel a bit of stiffness in it at times.

And the number one thing you should do is get a wrist brace! I got the Allsport Dynamics Carbon Fiber wrist braces and they are amazing!! Shop around online and you can find them for a good price!!

:) i hear you man, i was looking at some braces but nothing near as crazy as the one you mentioned, will definately look into it from what motosicko is sayin. just worried about how its gonna feel while riding. im sure ill get used to it and how the glove fits over it. my physio sessions are up, i had 10 days physio then i have to pay but the physiotherapist showed me some different exercises that ive been doing everyday since then. mobility is good its just the extremes (palmar and dorsal flexion) and impacts that hurt. strength is also steadily increasing but i definately know what motosicko is talking about (BTW you injury must have been much worse, all those pins must have sucked) :( . id like to minimize the residual effects of riding motocross with an unfit wrist so ill take your advice to hart, thanks guys.
    2004 CRF250R
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 am

I destroyed my right wrist last year on Aug 1st. Shattered the radius, cracked the ulna, and had bone fragments from a couple carpal bones, also toer pretty much every bit of connecting tissues (ligaments/tendons) after 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 12 screws and a bone graft, I finally was able to get to go back to work this month, but now may need another surgery, fusion, and some tendon grafts, so, my dirtbiking days might be over. trying no to think about it. :cry:
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Ah that sucks!! Sorry to hear that!
    But dont count yourself out yet. I know a guy who only has one arm and still rides. He lost his right arm in a motorcycle accident.
    Now he rides and has a custom made throttle that goes on the left side. The only bad part is that he has to be careful cause he can only use the rear brake.
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:46 pm

slomotobug wrote:I destroyed my right wrist last year on Aug 1st. Shattered the radius, cracked the ulna, and had bone fragments from a couple carpal bones, also toer pretty much every bit of connecting tissues (ligaments/tendons) after 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 12 screws and a bone graft, I finally was able to get to go back to work this month, but now may need another surgery, fusion, and some tendon grafts, so, my dirtbiking days might be over. trying no to think about it. :cry:

My God , what happened???? :shock: it never crossed my mind to stop riding even though the doctors (in all their wisdom :roll:) try to convince you to. although i cant speak for a shattered wrist such as yours, a fusion is the most likely outcome because it is difficult to get all of the pieces to heal back together. this causes whats called avascular necrosis (the bone doesn't get its blood supply and dies) this is especially true for the small bones in your wrist where their vascular structures are very small and thus fragile. are you getting your second surgery because of wrist pain? (this is typical for the above case)
    aside from this though riders with fused wrist is not unheard of, i would stay optimistic and get the wrist back to strength as motosicko and mx have suggested to me. i know i was the one asking the questions in the beginning but ever since i got some opinions and replies (including this forum) i dont feel that bothered about it anymore ;). in any event good luck with your surgery and thanks for your input
    Last edited by euromike_85 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    2004 CRF250R
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm

mxracer76 wrote:Ah that sucks!! Sorry to hear that!
    But dont count yourself out yet. I know a guy who only has one arm and still rides. He lost his right arm in a motorcycle accident.
    Now he rides and has a custom made throttle that goes on the left side. The only bad part is that he has to be careful cause he can only use the rear brake.

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000108 ... in-rochon/

i think this guy has the same setup, but he has a functional front break. so im assuming hes using a good ol rekluse.
    2004 CRF250R
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:01 pm

euromike_85 wrote:
    slomotobug wrote:I destroyed my right wrist last year on Aug 1st. Shattered the radius, cracked the ulna, and had bone fragments from a couple carpal bones, also toer pretty much every bit of connecting tissues (ligaments/tendons) after 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 12 screws and a bone graft, I finally was able to get to go back to work this month, but now may need another surgery, fusion, and some tendon grafts, so, my dirtbiking days might be over. trying no to think about it. :cry:

My God , what happened???? :shock: it never crossed my mind to stop riding even though the doctors (in all their wisdom :roll:) try to convince you to. although i cant speak for a shattered wrist such as yours, a fusion is the most likely outcome because it is difficult to get all of the pieces to heal back together. this causes whats called avascular necrosis (the bone doesn't get its blood supply and dies) this is especially true for the small bones in your wrist where their vascular structures are very small and thus fragile. are you getting your second surgery because of wrist pain? (this is typical for the above case)
    aside from this though riders with fused wrist is not unheard of, i would stay optimistic and get the wrist back to strength as you have suggested to me. i know i was the one asking the questions in the beginning but ever since i got some opinions and replies (including yourself from this forum) i dont feel that bothered about it anymore ;). in any event good luck with your surgery and thanks for your input

Already had 2nd surgery, that one was for bone graft to the radius. Luckily none of the little capal bones are actually broken, just a few small chips, those are fine. My radius, which was the bone that actually shattered and they had to put the plates/screws and bone graft on, is healing great. It's all the torn connective stuff that's causing me problems, that and the fact that the joint surface between the radius and ulna is just destroyed, the only fix for that is joint replacement, which has only been available in this country for a few years and they have no idea how durrable it is and how long it will last. I'm only 33 and I make my living as a mechanic, kind of need my right hand to last a while. It was doing pretty good in physical therapy till I started getting up in the weights on weight bearing and exercises with weight bearing and motion at the same time, now the bones will not stay aligned, my ulna (outside big bone) is sticking up about 1/2 inch higher than it should and is moving forward hitting the carpal bones, VERY painfull. I'm not counting myself out, believe me, if someone can come back from this and ride again, its me, but at this point, it may just not be a possibility.
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm

euromike_85 wrote:
    My God , what happened???? :shock:

read this post http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32793&highlight=

then in Nov had the 2nd surgery wher they removed the plate from the top, took bone from my shin, put it in my radius, and put a new plate in from the bottom, so I have a scar on the top and bottom now :x
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:06 am

slomotobug wrote:
    euromike_85 wrote:
    My God , what happened???? :shock:

read this post http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32793&highlight=

then in Nov had the 2nd surgery wher they removed the plate from the top, took bone from my shin, put it in my radius, and put a new plate in from the bottom, so I have a scar on the top and bottom now :x

chicks dig scars as some of the guys on here have mentioned:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

i was in a cast for 4 weeks then an external brace (orthosis) for the next 4, started very MINOR physio (Range of motion exercises) thereafter and have been steadily increasing intensity since then. right now im at about 60-70% palmarflexion 70-80% dorsiflexion.

what puzzles me is that you already started physio after 6 weeks, and your injury was much more severe. i was told that 12 weeks is the minimum amount of time required for the bone (my scaphoid) to completely heal. the tendon and ligament damage is what apparently takes the longest to heal (up to 2 years). and that's what is bothering me now. I'm not a doctor but I'm assuming that when you fell your carpal bones wedged between your ulna and radius splitting the the connective tissue between them. i study bio-mechanics here in Europe and specialize in telemetry in the limbs (measurement and evaluation of prosthetics/orthotics). wrist joint replacement is primarily for those suffering from bone/joint degradation like arthritis and is not meant for use in action sports. being careful, the typical life expectancy of a replacement joint is 10-15 years. the problem is in the materials (plastic load bearing), and the fact that they leave out the ulna altogether, so your radius must bear all the forces from the hand. i dont think ive helped you at all with what ive said but IMO try and give it time before considering a replacement joint.
    2004 CRF250R
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 am

Myself and my dr are not going to consider the replacement at all, not even an option at this point. I do know that with a broken scaphoid bone, they are much more cautious with healing time, my radius was being held together with the hardware so that is why they started me on PT so soon, but after the 2nd surgery, I had to wait 12 weeks.
    motosicko

by motosicko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 am

euromike_85 wrote:chicks dig scars as some of the guys on here have mentioned:

It's true, here's proof.
    5" scars outside and inside, and the 5 pins were installed through my thumb metacarpal and through all my carpal bones. My thumb metacarpal still is always numb. I didn't even break a single bone, just scrambled all the little carpals and tore all the ligaments.

Notice the puss's dropping all around my feet.

That inside scar runs all the way to the center of my palm.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."