training and arm pump
  • dread_i

training and arm pump

by dread_i » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:17 am

In june this year i fractured my proximal humerus, this lead to me having three months off my bike and out of the gym, when i returned to riding i noticed that i did not get anywhere near as much arm pump. now i'm back into my gym routine i have noticed that the arm pump is beginning to return. i'm training two to three times a week just using weights as i do my cardio training on a road bike, i've been training for about 5 years using about 6 different programmes that i rotate during the year. has anyone else noticed after a break in training that arm pump has been greatly reduced also does anyone know of any motocross specific programmes, i've had a look around the web but not found anything that i think would be an improvement from what i'm already doing.
    05 crf250r
    marks crf

by marks crf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 pm

i bmx freeride and downhill mountainbike ride with a couple of mates on our dirt bmx track in the bush.

i believe its a good form of training cause:
    you get a cardio workout

you use the same muscles u use on a mx bike

you improve skills and can apply them to mx
    (i can whip good now from bmx)

builds confidence, and since riding bmx since i was 12 my arms are use to it and it helps reduce arm pump in mx

and also easier and quiter to ride than a mx bike so you can ride anywhere
    my #00

5th gear PINNED on the 250
    6th gear PINNED on the 125

My van is the only TRUE factory rig
  • dread_i

by dread_i » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 am

I also grew up riding bmx and a lot of downhill, unfortunately since getting an mx bike the others have just been gathering dust due to having a family and having just started my own building co. i just about find time for gym, road riding and a day of mx at the weekend.

i do miss the days of summer holidays and no responsiblty!!

There has been some talk of the council building a new bmx track right behind where i'm living so hopefully if they get there fingers out i might be able to dust the bmx down for some evening training.
    05 crf250r
  • jt1872001

by jt1872001 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 am

If you want to lift weigths and not get arm pump, try this program. You need to do total body excersizes (strenght training) not muscle isolation type movements. If the work out you do gets you "pumped up" you will get pumped up while riding. Curls are the worst thing you can do for arm pump.

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... or_MX.html

Or there is a list to chose from

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... kouts.html
  • dread_i

by dread_i » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:33 am

My main programmes have been total body as i do not have a massive amount of time to spend in the gym isolating muscle groups, the theory behind whats written across the site is what i've been working towards for a while however in the first they include exercises like chin ups and deadlifts which cause a massive amount of arm pump, also any exercise that involve lifting weights in a repetition will pump you up.

the second link provides some helpful info for different training formats but not quite what i'm looking for.

thanks for the links they provided some interesting reading.
    05 crf250r
  • bigdot

by bigdot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:44 pm

The only way to stop armpump is to grip harder with your legs..but like always the grion muscles fatigue very fast. I use stegpegz which gives me support at the legs and and i dont have to grip nearly as tight and the armpump just dissapeared.
    And I am working out in the gym with all kinds of weights and reps with no effect on armpump any more what so ever.