It's time to get off of my ***
    Old-Man

It's time to get off of my ***

by Old-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 am

Years ago I was in what i would call VERY good shape. When I use to try to get into the fire department I would always be in the top 10% in the physical agility test. Over the years I had got real lazy and put on a lot more weight then I want on me.

Yesterday we went over to the local LA fitness and signed up. The real test will be going and starting to eat better. With my wife going that will push me even more to go (a big plus).

The hard part will be the eating better. As a lot of you know I'm on the road for 3 days a week. During this time it's real hard to stay in any kind of shape. The only time we stop is to fuel, so no time to work out. Also I would do a few things in the tractor to work out, but I don't want to break a sweat because we do not have showers all the time to stop at. We do stop for a shower, but not as much as I want. The eating issue is one of those things to stay awake. We drive 10 to 11 hour shifts. I will have to work real hard on getting away from the junk snack foods.

Also at home we are going to have to work on eating better.

We go into the gym today to have them show use around and weigh us in. It will be interesting how that goes. My goal is to drop about 40 lbs. I'm 5' 10" at about 235 lbs. Years ago putting on muscle wasn't super hard for me. I'm now wondering how that will be now that I'm a lot older. The main goal will be getting rid of this gut I have, and the man boobs that are starting.

I will keep you posted on how this goes. I'm hoping it will not turn out to be one of those things I burn out on in a short time.
    Old-Man

• sycraft

by sycraft » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:50 am

Good Luck, I too am a member of LA Fitness, I have a membership that allows me into any LA Fitness so when I travel I can still work out. I started at 272 lbs and by doing 30-60 minutes of cardio a day plus only eating 2000 calories a day I have dropped to 247 lbs . I still have a long way to go. It takes time, I dropped the first bit real fast,now only about 2 lbs a week. Keep it up. I want to hit 230 lbs first by the end of the year, then if I could get to 199 that would be great.
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 pm

sycraft wrote:Good Luck, I too am a member of LA Fitness, I have a membership that allows me into any LA Fitness so when I travel I can still work out. I started at 272 lbs and by doing 30-60 minutes of cardio a day plus only eating 2000 calories a day I have dropped to 247 lbs . I still have a long way to go. It takes time, I dropped the first bit real fast,now only about 2 lbs a week. Keep it up. I want to hit 230 lbs first by the end of the year, then if I could get to 199 that would be great.

We just got back from our first workout. All I can say is OMG they kick my ***. They had a personal trainer show me and my wife a workout. By the time we were done it look like I jumped into the pool.

I'm at 29.6% body fat. They are saying my target is 18%. My wife is at 24.4% and they said her target is 24.4%. It doesn't shock me because she is in good shape.

We are thinking about paying one of the personal trainers to work us out once a week. Then the rest of the week me and my wife can work as a team.

I have to set my mind into this that it has to be done. If i don't I know in time being fat and out of shape will take it's toll on me. Right now I'm on cholesterol medications and don't like it. Getting into shape might just get me off of them.

I do know it's not going to happen over night. It's going to be a life time of hard work, but right now I have to start working on it. I want to be able to ride for another 30 years.

sycraft, how hard was the diet part of it for you? 2000 calories a day must have been hard at first. I'm guessing your eating a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Tom
    Old-Man

mikey526

by mikey526 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey O.M, it shouldn't be too hard to loose that weight. One thing that is really easy to do that you don't have to break a sweat for is different variations of core workouts. Well, you might sweat a little, but you shouldn't be dripping buckets or anything.

Give something like this a try (start out with less and build up, there is no way anyone should be able to do this if they don't do ab exercises regularly. Also- I'm saying you could try this on the road- the gym is much better for cardio.)

200 regular crunches (knees bent with feet hanging in air, just get shoulder blades off ground)

150 oblique crunches (keep your back flat, have your hips/legs pointed to either left or right and do a regular crunch. It works the separate sides of your abs better.)

3x30 inverted crunches (hands at sides, laying down, push your legs up and get your butt off the ground- this is for the bottom 2 cans in the six pack ;) )

3x30 Bus drivers- Balance on your rear, with your knees bent holding your feet above the ground, and move your hands in a semi-circle like your driving, but use your core to twist.

Sorry, these are kind of hard to explain :oops: but if you try them you might like them. Well, at first I'm sure you won't but they really are a great work out and if you do them frequently you will see results. Like all work outs, though, you can't let your heart rate drop too low too often because then your not doing anything much for yourself besides wasting time.

Good luck!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Old Man,
    Good on you.
    No point whinging about we all just have to do it.
    Mikeys point about doing exercise for our core strength is good for us riders, but don't underestimate a 45 minute fast walk each day you can.
    It gets the weight down and helps our knees as it is gentle(as opposed to jogging).

Lots of fruit works for me as does staying away from the odd beer.
    Keep up the good work and the upside is the power/weight ratio improves every time we lose a bit.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will have to try to work in some of the mikey526 is saying why out on the road. This is going to be the hardest part of it. For three days it just driving and trying to sleep. The only time we do stop if to fuel and use the restrooms. I think during those times I have to work on doing something. Once I drop a little weight I will by a jump rope to use during this time. I'm going to have to work on taking 15 minutes out of each driving leg to pull over and do something.

As for the beer, I don't drink much at all. My weak point at times is sodas. I need to turn those into water.

I'm with you on the fruit Aussiecrf230. I told my wife we need to buy a lot more of it.
    Old-Man

mprentice

by mprentice » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Old-Man wrote:As for the beer, I don't drink much at all. My weak point at times is sodas. I need to turn those into water.

I'm with you on the fruit Aussiecrf230. I told my wife we need to buy a lot more of it.

Good luck on the new lifestyle! 3 months ago, I found myself weighing in the heaviest of my life....like you, I was fed up and the wife and I signed up at the local gym,....and finally....starting to see a hint of results...

The crazy thing is, I don't drink regular SUGAR sodas....I've always consumed diet sodas...as soon as I gave those up, I started to see the results....those artificial sweeteners are the devil
    '05 CRF450R, '12 CRF250R, '09 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    mikey526

by mikey526 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:22 pm

mprentice wrote:
    Old-Man wrote:As for the beer, I don't drink much at all. My weak point at times is sodas. I need to turn those into water.

Good luck on the new lifestyle! 3 months ago, I found myself weighing in the heaviest of my life....like you, I was fed up and the wife and I signed up at the local gym,....and finally....starting to see a hint of results...

The crazy thing is, I don't drink regular SUGAR sodas....I've always consumed diet sodas...as soon as I gave those up, I started to see the results....those artificial sweeteners are the devil

Wasn't there something about diet soda actually being worse for you than regular sugar soda? I thought I remembered something about it because the fake stuff tricks your body and actually makes you produce more fat or something :?
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 pm

mikey526 wrote:
    mprentice wrote:

Wasn't there something about diet soda actually being worse for you than regular sugar soda? I thought I remembered something about it because the fake stuff tricks your body and actually makes you produce more fat or something :?

Yep I remember seeing something about that. I did give up sodas for about 4 months. I dropped about 7 lbs without doing anything. I only have about 8 a week. I need to cut that way down again.
    Old-Man

• Joe_E

by Joe_E » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey Old Man, good for you. I just had my knee surgery last Thursday but plan on getting back into the gym within the next couple of weeks. I go to LA Fitness 4 to 5 times a week out in the SCV. The best kept secret is the one off Golden Valley Road, caddy corner to the Sports Complex. The one in Valencia is way too crowded. I usually try to get in by 0430-0500 if I am doing a morning workout. I also use the one in Monterey Park, it just opened up last month. Depends on whether or not I get a late start that day. As far as losing the weight, I do cardio almost everyday and can say that as you get older it helps, but the best exercise is the table pushaway. Once a meal, pushaway from the table before you eat so much you feel you are going to explode. Start cutting your portions down till you are eating about half of what you do now. The weight will come off pretty quick, and no major league snacking in between meals. The other thing to realize is that as you get older your testosterone levels decrease, some more than others. I don't see nearly the gains in lean muscle mass as I used to and it frustrated me until I had my blood work. checked. Whatever you do, don't spend a ton of money on supplements, GNC would love you for it but a good daily vitamin is all you need.

Joe
    CRF450X, Rooster Rad Guards, Utah Cycles skid plate, Scott's damper, Acerbis Rally Pro Guards, Uni Filter, stock exhaust baffle removed, JD jetting kit, airbox moded, member of AMA, District 37 and BADGERS M/C
  • sycraft

by sycraft » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 pm

2000 calories is not bad, eat more protein and no sodas. Water only... Eat 5 times a day, decent breakfast, mid morn snack, decent lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner high on protein, no carbs at night. Once you get used to it it comes naturally. Also no fast foods.
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Joe_E wrote:Hey Old Man, good for you. I just had my knee surgery last Thursday but plan on getting back into the gym within the next couple of weeks. I go to LA Fitness 4 to 5 times a week out in the SCV. The best kept secret is the one off Golden Valley Road, caddy corner to the Sports Complex. The one in Valencia is way too crowded. I usually try to get in by 0430-0500 if I am doing a morning workout. I also use the one in Monterey Park, it just opened up last month. Depends on whether or not I get a late start that day. As far as losing the weight, I do cardio almost everyday and can say that as you get older it helps, but the best exercise is the table pushaway. Once a meal, pushaway from the table before you eat so much you feel you are going to explode. Start cutting your portions down till you are eating about half of what you do now. The weight will come off pretty quick, and no major league snacking in between meals. The other thing to realize is that as you get older your testosterone levels decrease, some more than others. I don't see nearly the gains in lean muscle mass as I used to and it frustrated me until I had my blood work. checked. Whatever you do, don't spend a ton of money on supplements, GNC would love you for it but a good daily vitamin is all you need.

Joe

Joe I was going to write you to see how the knee surgery went. I hope everything is OK this time.

As you know i have a lot of time on my hands why I'm driving. I had the radio on last trip and they were talking a lot about testosterone levels. I think I need to have mine checked out.

I'm going to try to stay away from all the supplements. The trainer also said try to stay away from them. He said in most cases a real good diet and exercise can fix a lot.

He told me try not to come in and just do cardio. He said I have to build up my lean muscle mass. So we will be doing a 5 minute warn up then hittting different muscle groups every time. Then after that it's 20 to 30 minutes of cardio. I know it's going to be a lot of work on my part if it's going to work. Bases on a ride I did last week I need to get back in shape. My goal is to talk Kathy into doing a few races late this year or maybe next year.

sycraft, I need to learn a lot more about counting calories, and what's good for you. I'm going to work real hard on learning more. As of right now we go out for dinner once or twice a week 9not always fast food junk). That will be cut back big time. That is the money that's going to pay for a personal trainer once a week. I will be BBQ a lot more fish, and chicken. Along with cutting out chip and all of the crap foods. Part of the problem is trying to fix something that is fast and easy for dinner. Most of the stuff we know right now isn't the best fast and easy foods. A lot more fruits and vegetables will be on the list. Right now if I was to guess I would say we eat fruits and vegetables only about 3 times a week with dinner. :shock:

I think with my wife, trainer, and support from friends I can meet my goals. I'm not saying it will be something that will happen in a real short time. It might take a year, but it will happen this time. I'm also going to take some before pictures of me. Man that's going to be scary. I don't think I have had my shirt off outside in years. Also when it come to pictures I hate them. All I see is a fat ugly guy and don't like it. :(

Thanks guys for you time and support!

Tom
    Old-Man

• sycraft

by sycraft » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:11 am

Just watch the "sauces" they are loaded with calories.. also go to www.AllRecipes.com and look up recipes, they even give you nutritional values for the recipes.
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 am

sycraft wrote:Just watch the "sauces" they are loaded with calories.. also go to www.AllRecipes.com and look up recipes, they even give you nutritional values for the recipes.

Cool I will check out that site.
    Old-Man

Old-Man

by Old-Man » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Well week one is almost down. I went to the gym 3 times and plan to do 4 times this week.

I can't tell you how much pain I was in on Monday night from the work out on Saturday. The trainer kicked my butt.

This week on the road I though was going to be real hard. To tell the truth it wasn't all that bad. Driving the night shift can be real hard and eating has been what helps keep me awake. Before in an 11 hour leg I would eat all kinds of things and drink sodas and coffee to help stay awake. This week it was 2 turkey wraps. That was two tortillas, 6 thin slices of turkey on each, a little dab of miracle whip on each with a lot of lettuce. I also had lots of fruit to eat. I went from about 12 sodas in 3 days down to 4 and I'm wanting to make that zero soon. Most of the time on the night legs I will stop for coffee and a danish roll. The danish roll alone is 1,100 calories. :shock: None of that crap this trip.

Well I got on a scale this morning and I was down 6 lbs already. I know the first few will drop real easy, but I need to keep up with the hard work and good eating to get down below 200 lbs. I know a big part of that 6 lbs is water weight, but I'm set this time on dropping weight.

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes every few weeks or months.
    Old-Man