The Biggy
    lumpdog

The Biggy

by lumpdog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:45 pm

Ok so new years up and comming , and i cant wait . I have got myself a 05 250x , been out on it loads and got the bike near on dialled in ;)

Ive met some great new people out n about who have helped me out with riding and contacts for local enduro clubs and events , so yep the new year will see me throwing myself into compition , i got 2 races linned up in JAN and a series start in FEB so im well up for it .

Im changing my diet , lifestyle and attitude toward riding completly cos otherwise im gonna turn into a slob with a pop belly and a lump of dribble hanging from my gob .

Where am i going with this ???

I GOTTA STOP SMOKING

I physically hate it :x

I hate the smell , i hate the taste , i hate the waste of money , i hate coughing like a dog when i finish a hard riding session , i hate the sore throte , i hate the way it makes my eyes itch sum times , i hate it when im being really anti smoking and my mrs lights one up or i smell one , then a day later i find myself with one in my gob :x

Any help , advice , mucho appriciated ;)
    JAWS

by JAWS » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:07 pm

The only way I can advise you is what worked for me. Years ago, I faced the decision to either quit or face the thing that killed my dad according to the Doctor. I decided to not go that way. My two brothers continued and I lost them both to cancer.

I threw the cigs away and never looked back. It was tough. Slapped my shirt pocket a lot. After a while I got over it. The the only time I missed it was when I was having a drink. Soon enough I got over that too.

If you really want to quit, then you have to just stop. Be nasty to anyone that suggests that "just one won't hurt" and be strong.

If your smoking friends tease you or try to get you to smoke, then they are NOT your friends.

Be strong. You can do it.

Good luck.

Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    instigator

by instigator » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:29 am

Stick some gum in your GOB and make up your mind. you are either a smoker or a non smoker. If you are going to let a plant rule your life then think how many other areas of your life might be out of control. your control. You already hate it, the way it smells, the way it tastes, the expense. So put it down already!!!! Once you stop enjoying smoking and it becomes just a habit, it is easy to quit. and do not tell anybody that you quit, keep your GOB shut, it reduces the pressure of living up to expectations. Finally, the real trick to quitting smoking is to keep quitting until it sticks. Rememmber only quitters quit. so be a quitter. 8)
    06' 450X
    pro circuit T-4
    Jd Kit
    smog block-off
    the "works" for guards

LET'S ROLL!
  • cbutler

by cbutler » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:31 am

I quit in 2000 went to a hipnotist seminar with a buddy and his wife.I have NEVER wanted another one they started back in less than a month,she died last year of cancer.

ONLY YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO QUIT

You can try whatever but until you TRULY want to quit nothing will work.For me it was the hipnesses it was the BEST $70 I ever spent.

You must find what is going to work for you it will only get harder :cry: :cry:
    lumpdog

by lumpdog » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:21 am

Christ , thanks for all your replies on this subject and i am truly sorry to hear of all of your losses . As bad is it may sound tho i think hearing these things brings home how filthy a habbit it really is .

I think its starting already - im gonna feel so guilty if i ever go near another cigarette after what you have told me .

I tried the gum a while back and i got a nicotine overdose - went very dizzy and weak , had to go home from work early .

After speaking to my dad about it he told me that nicotine is a really strong poison and told me about some of the cr@p that they have in them . Its discusting and i cant belive iv been putting that dirt in my body for so long :evil:

I kicked it for 3 months before and started up again , i was annoyed with myself but tried to justify it to myself by saying " well ive cut down alot" and thats not a path i want to go down again .

I actually feel very envious of people who can sit there and say " ive never smoked and never will" .

Will im fuguring that this is gonna be one of the hardist times to stop it so i may aswell get that part over with .

NO MORE .

Im gonna buy loads of regular gum and chew it till my teeth fall out if i have too . i dint want that nicotine cr@p in me no-more .

Ill post back on here , let you know how mad im going , if i start turning into a mad man etc etc .

Thank you all very much for your help and support .
  • cbutler

by cbutler » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:59 am

Good luck you CAN do it tell your friends and family to bear with you :D
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:13 am

Find things to keep your mind busy as well as your body. I found that I was an unconscious smoker. It was just something to fill the blanks. If your hands are busy and you mind is engaged, you will miss it a lot less.

Congratulations. It will be hard but you CAN do it!

Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    lumpdog

by lumpdog » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:16 am

JAWS wrote:Find things to keep your mind busy as well as your body. I found that I was an unconscious smoker. It was just something to fill the blanks. If your hands are busy and you mind is engaged, you will miss it a lot less.

Congratulations. It will be hard but you CAN do it!

Joe

Ya got me sussed , if im working on my bike , on the internet or even at work , i dont smoke till i stop and think about it .

I changed to roll ups :x a while back which has helped put me off pre-mades , they taste of chemical sh!te now , and it takes me alot more time to do a roll up too so i tend to just not bother .

Im gonna jump the gun a bit and say christmas day has been done its 5:10 pm in the UK now , and i havnt smoked all day and have no intenton of ;)
  • nelson650

by nelson650 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 am

Two ways to Quit--one of them is quit!
    m00n

by m00n » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:52 pm

You would think after seeing my father in the hospital twice hooked up to every breating device known to man I'd quit myself. he smoked heavily for 50 some odd years. He just died in Feb of emphyzema. I was there the night he died. Yet.... I will be leaving work here in about 10 minutes, get in the jeep and smoke a ciggy on the way home.

Some people never learn until it's too late.

I'm not a big guy, only 5'5" but I got muscle (nothing to brag about, just not toothpick boy) thus it's hard enough for me to hold the bike up and kick start it. Always looking for that little stump to role the bike up to. :lol: . Anyway, trying to kick start that damn thing is no fun when you're out of breath.
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:03 pm

m00n wrote:You would think after seeing my father in the hospital twice hooked up to every breating device known to man I'd quit myself. he smoked heavily for 50 some odd years. He just died in Feb of emphyzema. I was there the night he died. Yet.... I will be leaving work here in about 10 minutes, get in the jeep and smoke a ciggy on the way home.

Some people never learn until it's too late.

I'm not a big guy, only 5'5" but I got muscle (nothing to brag about, just not toothpick boy) thus it's hard enough for me to hold the bike up and kick start it. Always looking for that little stump to role the bike up to. :lol: . Anyway, trying to kick start that damn thing is no fun when you're out of breath.

Moon, I am not going to preach to you, but like the Doc told me about my dad.. the likelihood of having the same issue is hereditary....

Joe
    m00n

by m00n » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

JAWS wrote:Moon, I am not going to preach to you, but like the Doc told me about my dad.. the likelihood of having the same issue is hereditary....

Joe

True true... However, been a while since I posted that. I did quit. I quit for new years. I think I've had two ciggs since Jan 1...

Having said that... Hold the =D>... Cause I have an even worse habbit still... Chew... Chewed for years. Easier for me to give up smoking than chewing. Started chewing because I couldn't smoke at work. yes, office jockie. I want to quit, need to quit... just hard to give up something you actually enjoy.

Also, my dad? He was step dad but he was my dad from the time I was 3 years old.
    2004 CRF250R
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:07 pm

I smoked for 20 years. I quit 3 years ago.

I tried half heartly MANY times. I was a pack to pack 1/2 a day. At the end of it smokes were 10.00 a pack. Between me and the ex wife was costing 400-600 a month!!

So anyway you will get to a point where you are ready. To me all the hypnosis, zyban, patches in the world will not help unless your ready. I was ready.

It sucked real bad the first 6 months. I suffered as we all do when we try to quit.

But i stuck it out and chewed a lot of gum. Now i cant stand the smell of cig smoke if it lingers long.

Quit, you can do it. Be ready to take up the times you are suffering for a cig and fill it with somthing else.

Good luck!
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    http://www.dualsport.ca
    m00n

by m00n » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Yeah... I hear you loud and clear. I do need to quit. If we want to get superstitious, I had a bad dream the other night that I ended up catching cancer because of it. :oops: Part of my problem is, it will cause me to become a very irritable jerk for a while. :(
    2004 CRF250R
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Chantix is a really good new product that is out on the market. I used it, but in the end I wasn't ready to quit, and I started back up again. One of these days, I'll decide that I'm ready, and Chantix is the one I'll use to help me out.
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?