CRF250R 2018 drain bolt
  • NickRideMx

CRF250R 2018 drain bolt

by NickRideMx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:42 am

Hi guys, apologies if this subject has been discussed but did a search and nothing came up.
    I have a 2018 CRF250R and the drain bolt is a useless one, made of butter.
    Anybody know where I can get an aftermarket one ? have searched everywhere with no luck.

Thanks \:D/
    JimDirt

Re: CRF250R 2018 drain bolt

by JimDirt » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It looks like at this time , the only option is a stock bolt , Are you having issues with the Allen Head ?? , or the threads ??
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • NickRideMx

by NickRideMx » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:08 am

Thanks 😁 The threads are fine. Its the allen that becomes rounded every time as it is made of something with the consistency of butter 😜 Just need something with a normal head. Not after anything fancy or anodized. But clearance is minimal
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:55 am

Yea , Unfortunately , OEM is all that is available currently , I am assuming that once a few more have this issue it will be addressed by the aftermarket ..... Until then .... I would just get a replacement from Honda , and make sure that you have the inside absolutely clean before sticking in the Allen Wrench , and make sure it is a good quality Allen , so the size is correct , as cheaper brands tend to have less tolerance concerns than better brands .....a tight fit and making sure the Allen is all the way inserted will help it last much longer , even a little dirt will prevent it from seating all the way , and allowing it to wobble , till it ends up stripping .......

You could in the meantime , find a Fastener company in your area , and look thru their catalogs and see if you can find a comparable replacement in either a Stainless or deeper or different (other than Allen) head , all you need to be concerned with is , Thread Pitch , Thread Depth , and Flange diameter and flatness , what the actual bolt head is , you can get away with somewhat , as long as it does not protrude down below the frame rails , you should be fine , maybe run a skid plate as well to keep the face of the current and/or replacement bolt from getting distorted from impact , or filled with dirt/mud ..............
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • NickRideMx

by NickRideMx » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:19 am

Thanks JimDirt, I also thought of checking local fastener firms. But it's a very short bolt and will be tricky to find. Always run a skid plate by the way :-)