Crf250r exhaust pipe
  • Corneel

Crf250r exhaust pipe

by Corneel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 am

Good day,

I have a question regarding my pipe on my crf250r (2013).

So my exhaust tip(stock) is abnormally long, longer than other standard pipes on the crf250r. What will the affects be on my bike if I shorten the exhaust muffler tip?
    JimDirt

Re: Crf250r exhaust pipe

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Basically , what it will do is slightly increase the noise output (depending on how much length is removed , obviously the shorter the muffler , the louder the bike will be) , there may or may not be a difference in power output , again related to how much is actually removed from the overall length , if you cut it in half , it would most likely be significantly louder and change the power delivery , 1" - 4" not so much , example: , I cut 4" off my 02 CRF450R OEM muffler , for the very reason you want to , i also have a Pro Moto Billet Endcap on it so I have the option of a Spark Arrestor which I always use , and a "Silent Insert" which is a restrictor that helps keep the noise down , it does slightly change the performance , but if I am using it , I am most likely on a trail somewhere , so I want the bike to be quieter anyway and don't really care if there is a slight loss of power because of the restrictive insert , I did notice a slight increase in noise (very very slight) , but it was far from obnoxious ,

I did at the time also repack the muffler , so that way I was starting off with a fresh setup , and in the end , I did not notice any difference in performance , if there was a difference for better or worse , it was not noticeable , but I did not have that huge muffler that the 02 is famous for , sticking back almost to the end of the fender , it is currently (why i chose the length to cut) the same length as the 05 CRF450R muffler , so i stuck within what the manufacturer uses , so keep that in mind when deciding how much to cut off

What i would do is measure one that you know is correct and use that as your measurement , that way you are within manufacturers spec , and it should give you the visual appeal that your looking for ..... , with that said , many of the aftermarket mufflers actually offer various lengths of certain model mufflers , (FMF for example) depending on needs or use , but for the most part , almost all aftermarket mufflers are noticeably louder than their stock counterpart , so I would personally stick with stock specs as much as possible , as certain groups of people are always looking for a way to take away riding areas and tracks , noise is the biggest complaint and usually the reason for losing a riding location , so keep that in mind when making your cutting choice :-$ ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho