03 Crf450 with left 04 crankcase possible?
  • wildape

03 Crf450 with left 04 crankcase possible?

by wildape » Thu May 10, 2018 7:26 pm

03 crf450 case is no longer available from OEM..so I found a 04 left side case thats mint. Can i use the 04 left crankcase with my 03 everything else? Or is it better to buy an 04 right case to match it and use the 03 top end in it?

Is any of this possible and are there any issues with getting it into the frame?

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Best

Wildape
    JimDirt

Re: 03 Crf450 with left 04 crankcase possible?

by JimDirt » Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The cases "should" be the same and interchange between the 2 years as far as i know (have not tried the swap myself) , but 03-04 did not change much at all that i am aware of , i know 02 had a different stator wiring hookup , but i am almost certain that the engine and frame parts swap from 02-04 with the exception of Subframe because of muffler mount and muffler changes from 02-03 , flywheel from 02-03 (fits but different weight) stator wiring connection as i mentioned , and front forks changed inner cartridge valving diameter from 10mm in 02 , then 20mm in 03 , then 30mm in 04 which remained till 08 , and shock linkage and shock clevis from 02 , to 03-04 , and airbox snorkel was changed from 02 , then 03 , then 04 but there were only slight changes from 03 to 04 and the filters interchange between 03-04 all the way to 08 , but 02 filter was different size/shape and engine mounts were changed to alter the engine angle in the frame for handling characteristics ....

Those are about the only significant changes that i recall between the years , the worst case scenario is once you get the part and match it to your current bad case and it does turn out to be slightly different physically , that it might require a engine mount on that side or something to be swapped for the new case year , so you would possibly have to either get the matching right case then , and engine mounts to match , as i believe there were slight changes in mounts to change the tilt of the engine in the frame , but i still "think" the cases will be the same and swap out , i know the swingarm is the same from 02-04 so the only mounts that might be different is the front mount and rear top engine mount angle , ........ OR ...... ,better yet if you don't want to take the chance , look on eBay and find the correct 03 case (used) and call it a day , a good shape used case is as good as a new one when you can no longer get the discontinued part new ...hopefully that either helped you , or confused you ....you decide ... ;) 8-[ :-s :?
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • wildape

by wildape » Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 am

Right...thanks for the feedback.

I looked up the part number on the right case for both years and its the same.

The key info is what honda changed to the left case between 03 and 04,..as the part numbers are different. But most everyone I speak to say everything should fit. Maybe its just a minor change hopefully.

Thanks for your feedback
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri May 11, 2018 9:35 am

What Honda does sometimes is they "supersede" part numbers on "older" bikes to a new number , but list it as "part no longer available" when its actually the same part from year to year , but the part number is actually what is no longer available and only different because of the year change , but physically its the same part , like i mentioned , a "few" parts are physically different from year to year from 02-04 , but mostly the parts interchange and are the same , because they find things that work better or are cheaper to manufacture from year to year , and alter the bike as such

The new 450 R/X , they changed the case to omit the kickstart like the way KTM did over the last few years , its a simple change, and instead of a case with a plug where the kick start was , or having a E-start and a kick start , its a case without the hole that needed a plug when the kick start was removed , its more cost effective for Honda and shaves a little weight off the engine due to less material because the raised and reinforced portion of the case is now removed , the downside is , you can no longer add the kickstart like the year prior without replacing both inner and outer cases , but it still bolts to the engine exactly the same for both parts , and the rest of the engine and bike remained unchanged , with the exception of header length

Personally i think you will be fine , and if your buying the case "new" and don't actually install it , then i am sure you could return it (but don't tell them its for a different year than stated) , or , as mentioned , search eBay for a same year replacement (used) and your good to go and at a far lesser cost ... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • wildape

by wildape » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes,..I paid something like 175 for the 04 left case and a right clutch side outer case. THe original struck a rock and had a crack.

I also got a good deal on a 07 fork which i hear is much better than the stock 03 fork. Gotta love Ebay.

Anyway I have some measuring tools so it shouldn't be hard to double check everything and then ill just go at it...rebuilding.

Thanks for your thoughts