Tires and Gas Tanks
  • Automaton25

Tires and Gas Tanks

by Automaton25 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've got a 2005 CRF250R, bone stock apart from a suspension re-valve done by the previous owner. I have had the bike for a little over a month now and been out on the trails a few times. I've noticed the tires suck and are first on my list to replace. Any recommendations for Colorado mountains/Utah? If you have a recommendation please let me know why you prefer that tire over others. I've been really looking into the Kenda Parker DT. Would I benefit from a size up (if it will fit)?

Secondly, the gas tank is small. I now there are some extended range options but I have had trouble finding them. How much of an increase in tank size can I feasibly get? My preferred riding style is enduro/technical riding. I know I have a race bike and it's not ideal for what I'm trying to make it do and I accept the short comings. I'm just trying to make it a little more trail friendly.

Any other common upgrades for these bikes?

Cheers,
    Andy
    Zachc12385

Re: Tires and Gas Tanks

by Zachc12385 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:22 am

It really depends on what terrain your riding on. right now im running a pair of Michelin S12 XC for snow and mud. They're good on soft terrain and even some mid terrain however they wear out really fast if you ride on hard terrain or asphalt.

For tanks I couldn't really tell you cause ive always ran stock tanks but if it were me i would just find something id like and try it out.

Also another thing i would consider is trying out some different sized sprockets. I run an extra 4 teeth in the rear and 1 less in the front. It took away alot of my top end speed but i have TONS of torque
    Zach
    2017 Crf250l
    Stock

"Just send it!"
  • Automaton25

Re: Tires and Gas Tanks

by Automaton25 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 am

It really depends on what terrain your riding on. right now im running a pair of Michelin S12 XC for snow and mud. They're good on soft terrain and even some mid terrain however they wear out really fast if you ride on hard terrain or asphalt.

For tanks I couldn't really tell you cause ive always ran stock tanks but if it were me i would just find something id like and try it out.

Also another thing i would consider is trying out some different sized sprockets. I run an extra 4 teeth in the rear and 1 less in the front. It took away alot of my top end speed but i have TONS of torque
    I ended up going with Kenda Parker DTs for tires. I still have yet to decide on a tank, I'm debating between the four gallon and a three gallon. I ride trail only and am finding I like rocky terrain that leans technical.

I am due for a rear sprocket and have been trying to decide what to go with, I'm leaning towards starting with a 53 tooth and seeing how I like that.

Thanks for responding!