2009 CRF250R Starting Problem
  • motorlife

2009 CRF250R Starting Problem

by motorlife » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased an '09 250R. The previous owner did tell me it was previously rebuilt. The bike has great compression the timing and valves are all up to spec but it doesn't start when hot and VERY difficult when cold. It seems to idle high and after I get it running (20-30 kicks cold) if not more, it heats up and is seemingly impossible to start again. The overflow does leave a puddle of gas about 20 kicks in (may be usual, still learning this bike). When running it rips and seems to idle fine for awhile then it comes back up again. I'm not sure if this could be contributing to something but it does seem to heat up a lot over a short period of time. Again the timing and shim sizes are all up to spec and I'm running out of options at this point I'm trying to avoid sending it to a mechanic (very expensive) but I will if necessary. ](*,) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    JimDirt

Re: 2009 CRF250R Starting Problem

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

From the sounds of things you might have a clogged Pilot Jet and (you did not mention if you drained and put fresh Premium Gas) possibly old gas . as any gas over 3 months old is going to be iffy in keeping the bike running smooth

The overflowing is indication that either the Needle/Seat is sticking or the float is adjusted improperly , or that the float bowl is just dirty , you could also have a worn Needle and Needle Jet (the Needle Jet is the long brass tube the main jet screws into and the slide needle goes down into ) , if it is worn it can cause inconsistent idling like you describe , where its "normal" then either revs higher or stalls the next time , and you can't "adjust" it to sustain the same rpm

But it sounds like your issue is fuel related from your description

If you want to avoid the cost of a shop , then i would suggest buying a Factory Honda Service Manual , for the price you will gain a wealth of knowledge , as the majority of work you can perform yourself if you have even moderate mechanical skills , just do what the manual says and you should be able to tackle most anything with the bike..

You can get the manual here https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3226 , or at your local Honda Dealer

Hope that helps .............
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho