Anyone own a ducati?
  • kingofthewoods

Anyone own a ducati?

by kingofthewoods » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Since i was little, I practically drooled at the sight of knee scrapping street bikes.Since then a ducati has been my dream bike. Now edging closer to being age eligible to ride a street bike, I have my eyes set on the 1098s. I went to a ducati dealer in Italy and since then Ive been hooked on the bike. Any one own one?

And yes potential flackers I am well aware of the price tag, cost of ownership, and maintenance difficulty. But why settle for something less, you'll never be happy
    crf450x, skid plates, enduro engineers hand gaurds, trail tech, Hammer head goodies, Renthal 52T.

R.I.P Dan Osman, a man with a death wish to live.
    "fortuna favet audaces"
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:02 am

Nminus1 is your man. PM him if he doesn't show up.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    Just me

by Just me » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I've had a 97 750 monster and a 94 900 SS-SP. They were good looking, great handling, fun motorcycles. Since mine were both air cooled 2 valvers, they were very cheap and easy to maintain. The complication goes up with the liquid cooled 4 valves.
    Truth be told, my Duc's were as reliable as my Honda street machines have been. (And I raced the 900 for 2 years. )
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:44 pm

My neighbor in San Diego had a 900 SuperSport, and it sounded good, but wasn't all that comfortable. He would smoke me off the line, but it just had NO top end at all. My 636 would pass him up like he was standing still. I like to look at them, but if I was gonna spend the money on a liter bike, I would go for the R1 or the CBR 1000. Just my opinion though.
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
  • kingofthewoods

by kingofthewoods » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:45 am

usmc88fan wrote:My neighbor in San Diego had a 900 SuperSport, and it sounded good, but wasn't all that comfortable. He would smoke me off the line, but it just had NO top end at all. My 636 would pass him up like he was standing still. I like to look at them, but if I was gonna spend the money on a liter bike, I would go for the R1 or the CBR 1000. Just my opinion though.

yeah I hear that alot "CBR or R1" they are similar in speed but I know the ducati's faster But thats besides the point. I want it for what it represents, the nearest thing to a hand built bike ( unfortunately they are not completely hand made anymore). No Japanese production bikes for me, at least a street bike. I see R1's Cbr's GXR's around every turn in my town. I want something thats different and represents true craftsmanship ( not that the cbr isn't craftsmanship, Honda is my plan B). Ducati's maintain their value way more than a normal street bike. They are rare and hard to fins a used one. So the extra 6-7,000 I would spend would be worth it 5 years down the rode when it only lost a few thousand in value.I do appreciate the input though.

CBR- 439 lbs
    Ducati- 380 lbs also has an L twin as opposed to an V. L is more efficient ( So I have heard, I am not an expert or anything close to it)

Best analogy (still kinda sucks) that i can think off is having to pick between a worked up Honda Civic, or a Lamborghini similar priced and just as fast as one another. Now pick....... How many civics do you see a day.....? but its just as fast.......

Thanks for input guys.
    crf450x, skid plates, enduro engineers hand gaurds, trail tech, Hammer head goodies, Renthal 52T.

R.I.P Dan Osman, a man with a death wish to live.
    "fortuna favet audaces"
  • TXSUT

by TXSUT » Wed May 07, 2008 12:33 pm

kingofthewoods wrote:...I am not an expert or anything close to it....

Sorry, but that's pretty obvious. The weight you quote for the Duc is a "dry" weight, i.e., the weight of the bike without any fluids (no gas, no oil, no coolant) AND without the battery. The weight of the 2008 Honda CBR1000RR is 435lbs *wet*.

The Duc's motor is a V-twin, with the cylinders situated 90 degrees apart...I guess that's why Ducati's using that goofy "L" twin nomenclature, but I have seen v-twin motors referred to as "Longitudinal v-twin"...whatever...ain't nothing new or special there.

All that said, I love the Ducati 1098 series. I hated what Pierre Terblanche had done to the line, and it's nice to see the 916 lineage again, especially with the single-sided swingarm. If I was in the market for a v-twin sportbike with a degree of exclusivity, the 1098 would be the one. If I wanted the same with an inline four...this'd be the one...

Also, you might want to read a recent post of mine about sportbikes for newbie street riders, if you're interested in self-preservation (and don't want to be paying out your arse to repair a crash-damaged Ducati)...

http://crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20847
    - Pete

The doc said I have A.D.D., but I think he's full of...HEY LOOK, A CHICKEN!!!
    djh65

by djh65 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:48 pm

I was just at a my credit union yesterday and they repo'd 2 yes two (almost exactly the same) within 24hrs. they are in perfect condition and they want $15K for each of them. If interested pm and I will give you the phone number.
    David
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!