How To: Install DRC Rear Brake light/tail light
  • CRFBakker

How To: Install DRC Rear Brake light/tail light

by CRFBakker » Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm

OK, I had the brake light wired in before and it worked perfectly. I broke a wire last year, didn't fix it right away, rode a couple times with the wires with no brake light until now when I decided to fix it, and now am having issues. I have it wired right, Yellow wire to black wire from bike, the other two from the light wired to the grey or green wire on the bike. One wire from pressure switch going to each of the two connections.
    I fire the bike and no light. Brake or tail light! Neither work. If I unplug the green wire and ground it out to the bike, the tail light comes on. If I hit the brake while this is grounded, my tail light goes out, as well as my headlight. And on top of it, it blow my 15 amp fuse when I ground it out like this.

I tried mixing and matching connections and it either doesn't work at all, or pops the fuse.

Any idea's???
    amaviper

by amaviper » Thu May 29, 2008 10:35 pm

If you have a DRC, I don't think you have it wired correctly.

Or you have a short to ground in the wires running to/from the brake switch or in the tail light itself.

GREY wire on the harness (my '06 is grey) to the BLACK wire on the tail light (ground).

Positive side of the battery to one side of the brake switch (put a fuse in) OR run directly from BLACK wire in harness to one side of brake switch. (power)

Other side of the brake switch to the RED wire on the tail light.

BLACK wire in harness to the YELLOW wire on the tail light. (power)

Two or three short pieces of wire and you can test the tail light.

Neg side of battery to BLACK Wire on the tail light.

Pos side of battery to YELLOW Wire on the tail light.
    This should light up the running light.

Pos side of battery to the RED wire on the tail light and the brake light should come on.

Disconnect battery before testing the tail light.
    '06 CRF450X; '07 CRF230F; '03 CRF230F; '03 XR100R; '03 XR70F; '79 KZ1300 A-1; '71 SL350 K1
    Skoot22

by Skoot22 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 pm

The black wire coming off my bike was hot and the grey was the ground. I found this weird too. Its an 05. I just put on a DRC tail light. but just hooked up the tail part (yellow) and capped off the brake part (red) till i get the other banjo.
    Scott
    05 CRF450X
    Bakersfield, Ca
  • CRFBakker

by CRFBakker » Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 am

amaviper wrote:If you have a DRC, I don't think you have it wired correctly.

Or you have a short to ground in the wires running to/from the brake switch or in the tail light itself.
    This is possible...

GREY wire on the harness (my '06 is grey) to the BLACK wire on the tail light (ground).
    Same as my 05..

Positive side of the battery to one side of the brake switch (put a fuse in) OR run directly from BLACK wire in harness to one side of brake switch. (power)
    [b]This is what I have now. I ran one side of the pressure switch to the black power wire and the other to the grey wire. Other side of the brake switch to the RED wire on the tail light.
    I have this too. ALthough, I have the red and black taillight wires twisted together in a bullet connector along with the grey. Those 3 plug in to the pressure switch.[/b]BLACK wire in harness to the YELLOW wire on the tail light. (power)
    I have this.

Two or three short pieces of wire and you can test the tail light.

Neg side of battery to BLACK Wire on the tail light.

Pos side of battery to YELLOW Wire on the tail light.
    This should light up the running light.

Pos side of battery to the RED wire on the tail light and the brake light should come on.

Disconnect battery before testing the tail light.
    [size=18][/size
  • CRFBakker

by CRFBakker » Fri May 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks for the help. Any other possible thoughts? I am going to re-check per your advice but I am 99% sure that your explanation is what I have now.
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Fri May 30, 2008 4:23 pm

A member here sent me this.. hope he dont mind me posting it.

2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    http://www.dualsport.ca
  • CRFBakker

by CRFBakker » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Just what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

What a great site this is.
    Old-Man

by Old-Man » Sat May 31, 2008 9:24 am

I wish Honda's tail light came stock as a tail light/brake light. I've road with a number of guys that have put the brake light on and I have to say it help the guy behind them a lot when riding single track stuff.
    Old-Man

• abv

by abv » Tue May 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Hey all the wiring on the 04 250x is different. The stock rear light has 2 wires:
    1 black
    1 green
    What I did was hook up the taillight to Green (ground) black (power) and red went to the brake light switch.
    The brake light works fine but the taillight does not turn on at all. I test the light itself and that is fine. testing the black and green wires and its only putting out .02 volts

any ideas? i was thinking of running the positive into the blue wire for the headlight.
  • Xub115

Re: How To: Install DRC Rear Brake light/tail light

by Xub115 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:48 pm

OK, I had the brake light wired in before and it worked perfectly. I broke a wire last year, didn't fix it right away, rode a couple times with the wires with no brake light until now when I decided to fix it, and now am having issues. I have it wired right, Yellow wire to black wire from bike, the other two from the light wired to the grey or green wire on the bike. One wire from pressure switch going to each of the two connections.
    I fire the bike and no light. Brake or tail light! Neither work. If I unplug the green wire and ground it out to the bike, the tail light comes on. If I hit the brake while this is grounded, my tail light goes out, as well as my headlight. And on top of it, it blow my 15 amp fuse when I ground it out like this.

I tried mixing and matching connections and it either doesn't work at all, or pops the fuse.

Any idea's???
    Hey is this for a CRF250R? I’m trying to do the same thing to mine. Where can I get a wiring diagram?
  • Branch1634

Re: How To: Install DRC Rear Brake light/tail light

by Branch1634 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm

My 09 Crf250x tail light no longer has power to it. I tested the two wires (while the bike was running) to the tail light and there is on power. Is there a fuse somewhere or switch that I need to replace? I know it’s not the light because I can get it to work when I run it directly to the battery? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!