Fork help
  • Spliff

Fork help

by Spliff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm

I have a 05 450x. I broke the lower left axle clamp at holds the brake caliper (no front brakes now). I don’t believe they sell this part separate. It comes with the inner fork tube. It’s around $300 new. I found one on eBay for $160 but it’s off a 04 450r. Will this work with my 450x.
  • Leardriver

Re: Fork help

by Leardriver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:48 am

I have never taken that part off. There is just the lug for sale on ebay for $80-ish. Lots of sets of forks for $400.
    I see these on Craigslist occasionally.
  • Spliff

by Spliff » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 pm

I have never taken that part off. There is just the lug for sale on ebay for $80-ish. Lots of sets of forks for $400.
    I see these on Craigslist occasionally.
    Can you send me the link for the lug on eBay? That is what I need
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:03 pm

You can get just the lug , usually from a Suspension shop (Race Tech , Factory Connection , etc.) The lug can be removed with the correct tool , and some heat (you will need to replace o-rings in the tube as well , the heat is to break loose the Loc-tite , basically the same way you have to replace Free Piston and Cartridge seals , you can also send your lower leg (if you can't find one on EBay) to one of them mentioned above (or any "reputable" suspension shop , and they can replace it , as I am sure they may have a bent tube lying around to swap with (not sure what they will charge for the lug itself) but if I remember right it is about $45 from Race Tech to R&R the lug

The X lower tube is specific to the X (250 and 450 is the same) the R lower tube is stiffer , and it would upset the suspension if you had a flexible leg and a stiffer one on the other side (the X forks flex more than the R for a plusher ride) if you were to find a used one on EBay , keep that in mind , you can use R forks , but they need to be both so it flexes the same , also the brake bracket , is different for the 04 R , you would need the caliper mount for the 04 to make the brakes work on a 04 leg , but I also believe the 04 is a different length tube and it has a different bottoming cone that would not work well with the X cartridge assembly

So basically , you really want a 04-18 250X or 05-18 450X to be a exact fit
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho