Front/rear spring size
    Domino1972

Front/rear spring size

by Domino1972 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:29 am

New to this site, and born-again new to dirt bike riding.

Haven’t been on a dirt bike in 20yrs. My son is getting into riding so I decided to grab myself a bike so he and I get out and ride so he can get some experience and so I can get re-acclimated to the sport. We will mainly be trail riding, likely a lot of hard pack, not crazy technical until our skill level allows it. There will be some hills, some rock, some sand-depending on locations we choose to ride near us.

I bought a (very clean/hardly ridden/well documented maint records) 2009 CRF250X.

The man I bought it from was about 160-170lbs.

I am about 6,1” 210-215lbs with all riding gear on.

I’m sure this topic is covered, but I need help in determining spring size. I’ve read up on how to measure sag, and purchased the Motool Sag tool but haven’t had the chance to use it-but plan to use it this weekend. From what I’ve read, these bikes from the factory are set up for 150-170lb riders. I know that as of right now when I sit on the bike, without gear, it sags a lot. Too much! I don’t know what the oem spring sizes are, and don’t know what size to install to compensate for my size. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

What spring size should I purchase for front and rear suspension?
    2009 CFR250X
    JimDirt

Re: Front/rear spring size

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What I would suggest is a 0.46 for the fork and a 5.7 for the shock (I assume when you mentioned your weight ,that was without a backpack full of goodies which can add another 5-10 or so lbs depending , which off-road riders never think about when considering spring rate) . . Stock would be 0.42 for the fork and a 4.8 for the shock

This will help keep the bike up in the stroke , as you do not want the bike riding in the lower part of the stroke all the time as it will be a harsh ride , and it will allow you to keep the compression clickers on the softer side (out) to give you a plusher ride over the rough terrain

Check your sag before replacing them , then check it again afterwards (wearing EVERYTHING you will have on when riding including a backpack full of whatever you would normally take **using items to mock the weight if you don't want to pack a lunch just to test**)

Set your sag between 100mm and 110 depending on what feels most comfortable to you , start your clickers at the standard setting and adjust from there as you ride to get the most comfort and the best bottoming resistance , trying softer and stiffer settings to see what feels the best , once you get it where you want it , you should not have to readjust unless the terrain changes dramatically

Hope that helped ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Domino1972

Re: Front/rear spring size

by Domino1972 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks!! That’s exactly what I needed to know!!!
    2009 CFR250X