What bars are best for tall riders?
  • mossman77

What bars are best for tall riders?

by mossman77 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 pm

I was riding some tight single track today and was mostly in first gear. It quickly became apparent that the front end is too wishy-washy. I originally had the bars rotated forward about 25 degrees beyond the fork line, and re-adjusted them so they are now about 5 degrees in front of the forks. This made a huge difference and I like the way it handles now. However, now it's awkward standing up because my wrists are tweaked downward. What's the solution? Get a bar with higher bend and/or less sweep? 1" bar risers? Both? I compared the measurements on the CR High Bend compared to the stock bar a few months ago and seem to remember there not being much difference between the two.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I prefer the 1 1/8" Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bend on my X and i use RC high on my R, the Pastrana bars are way taller than the CR bends , and even taller than the RC and Windham bend , the sweep is also less than the Reed and RC bars which puts less fatigue on your wrists , i also use the forward position on the bar clamp as they are 4mm offset (just like the stock Honda ones) , i use the Pro Taper 10mm taller offset bar clamps , as the taller the bars you have the farther forward you need to have them , otherwise its like having the bars in your lap

I use this setup even though i am only 5'10" , because i prefer a taller rider setup because of back issues , it keeps me standing straighter , rather than being hunched over all the time when standing ,this setup feels better especially for off-road , i set them at the -0- position , so they are not rolling forwards , or leaning back , to me , twisting the bars in either direction will make your wrists sore , since either angle is not a natural position to hold your arms
    Last edited by JimDirt on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:37 am

The Patrana FMX bar is 121mm with 55mm of sweep and the CR High bar is 119mm with 54mm of sweep. Pretty close. Stock is 99mm tall with 54mm of sweep. All bars are 800mm wide. That being said, I'll be getting either the Pastrana or the CR High in combination with a bar riser that moves the bar both up and forward. Enduro Engineering makes a pair that moves the bar up 15mm and forward 15mm. This would be 37mm taller with the Pastrana bar. Does this sound too drastic?
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 am

The issue with going that high (i tried 30mm risers with the RC and Pastrana bars) , is that its so tall , that when you go uphill it puts you too far back on the bike because you are standing upright instead of leaning forward , when sitting (going uphill) its like having a set of Ape Hangers the Harley guys use , your arms are abnormally high and its uncomfortable , and if you get even mildly aggressive off road like i sometimes do , it makes for a uncomfortable ride

Even pushing the bars forwards too far will now set you way too far over the front , which means going downhill , you are now way too far forwards , so steep downhills , can get sketchy , since its harder to get your weight back , so i find 4mm offset is better than more, those are the only drawbacks , but to me , they are way too big , i have a set of 30mm risers just sitting in a drawer , about the only way i will use them is if i went to a standard height bar , as tall bars and tall risers , is just a bit too much , if your riding mainly flat ground the combination is good , since when your standing , your not hunched over

I think you would be happy with 10mm risers and the Pastrana bars

Also , in mentioning the sweep , i was physically looking at my R and X sitting next to each other , and the Pastrana bars look to have much less sweep , so that is what i was going by , holding my stock 7/8" bars next to them , they look close
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:01 am

Makes sense. I'm also considering the Renthal Fat Bar with RC High bend. It is only 2mm shorter than the Pastrana FMX and the rise is 10mm-15mm higher than stock (the rise of the Pastrana is the same as stock). This would have the effect of making the bar flatter which seems like it would help straighten out the wrists when standing. That being said, maybe I'll go with the Renthal bar. Renthal also has rubber mounted 5mm offset bar mounts. I'm not sure if they add any height. What do you think of this combo? It would be 20mm taller and 5mm forward from stock with a flatter bar (due to the 80mm rise).

In general, is it desirable to use a bar without cross brace when riding slower single track terrain so there is more flex in the bar?

Regarding the 10mm Pro Taper risers you mentioned, do they have an offset as well or they're just 10mm taller? I found the universal rubber mounts with 4mm offset but dont see the ones you are referring to.

SO, my two options are:

- Pro Taper Contour with Pastrana FMX bend, universal rubber mounts with 4mm offset

-Renthal Fat Bar with CR High bend, rubber mounts with 5mm offset.

...with the most significant difference being the 10mm difference in rise between the two (RC High being the flatter bar) and the Pro Taper not having a cross brace. Although I could simply remove the cross brace on the Renthal.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:50 am

The Renthal mounts I am considering are about the same height as stock but shift the bars 5mm forward. These mounts with the CR High bend should do the trick (hopefully). Except don't the stock mounts have a 3mm offset? I can't imagine 2mm more making that much of a difference.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:04 pm

The Pastrana bars are WAY higher than stock , almost double , i have the stock 7/8" Renthals sitting in my tool box , and then the 1 1/8" RC High (on my 450R) and the 1 1/8" Pastrana/FMX , on my X , the Pastrana's and RC Highs are about the same height , but the pitch of the sweep is higher on the Pastrana bars , in other words , where the rise up they are the same , but the when you get out to the end of where the grip would be , the Pastrana's are higher at the outer most point like this \/ as opposed to this --

The RC's i like for track riding , the Pastrana's i like better off road , i have swapped them from bike to bike , and prefer the RC's on the R and the Pastrana's on the X , but all this is rider preference , if you are at a bike shop that has them on display , walk up to them and just grab them like you are going to ride , try turning the bar from left to right , and do what you would be doing while actually riding , like holding the bar down like you were standing , and holding it at chest height like your sitting , whichever one "feels" the most comfortable and natural doing those things , is the one you should buy , it should feel natural to grab them without any adjustments to your hands or wrists , if it feels natural to have your hands in that position , that is the bar you will be less fatigued with

Again , each rider will feel differently about the same bar , and each bar will offer something different , so its a compromise as to what would be "perfect" , but if you can grab it and it feels like there is no effort to hold them , then that is what you should get , simple as that , its just like sitting on the new bikes at the dealer , you will sit on some and feel like your trying to straddle a recliner , and some bikes you sit on and everything is where you think it should be , and little effort is needed to hold and be relaxed on it , you can get on and off it easily without struggling , then that is the bike you should get

The more relaxed you are on a bike , the less fatigued you will be at the end of the day , if you have to fight the controls ,and ergo's , then you will be more tired at the end of the ride/day
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:22 am

Thanks for the tips! I went ahead and ordered the Pastrana bend as well for comparison. I'll set each bar in the clamps temporarily and see which one I like best.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 am

I ended up selecting the Renthal RC High bar. They were a slightly flatter bar, which I like. I'm anxious to ride with them this weekend. I'll post back with my observations.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 pm

That is what i run on my 450R , i like them , the Pastrana's i run on my X , for me , they feel the best "off-road" , but that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors , everyone likes something different !! ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:46 pm

The Renthal bar mounts I am using have a 5mm offset. What is the offset on the Pro Taper mounts you mentioned? The only ones I could find were 4mm (http://www.protaper.com/products/triple ... ber-mounts). Do you have a part number?
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Actually , i just looked at my bike again :? , i am now running the STOCK risers with 10mm 1 1/8" adapters with the RC High 1 1/8" ,(10mm above the stock riser position) so it is the 4mm offset forward , i have the other risers on my X with the Pastrana bars , they are 4mm as well....sorry for the confusion .... :oops:

I switched things around so many times trying to decide what i liked best , i forgot how i actually had it set up .... , but i do like it this way :lol:

At one point i had 30mm risers , it was way too uncomfortable for off-road , mainly for uphills
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:57 am

I believe the stock offset on the X is 3mm. At least that is what my manual says. I'll give the RC High bar a try and see how it feels. If I find I need more height, I'll install 10mm risers.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am

The Service Manual kind of contradicts itself , first it says its set at 6mm , which means the "standard" position is forward 3mm , then it says the optional one is 3mm , then it says the stock one is 3mm and the optional one is 0mm offset , i always thought it was 4mm , i know the Tusk one i have is 4mm , which is what is on my X .....i think..... or is it a Pro Taper ???.....they say the mind goes first :? ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:09 pm

I agree that is confusing, but I think it is correct. Here is my take on it:

- Standard holder/standard position: 3mm forward from center
    - Standard holder/rotated 180 degrees: 3mm rearward from center (6 mm rearward from standard position)
    - Optional holder: 3 mm rearward of standard position. 3mm forward minus 3 mm rearward = 0 mm offset (centered with mounting bolt)

Easier said--the standard holder has a 3 mm offset from the center mounting bolt and the optional holder has a 0 offset. Depending on which way you rotate the standard mount, you can achieve a 3 mm offset forward or 3 mm offset rearward. The optional mount has 0 offset and therefore doesn't matter which way you rotate it. It will always be centered with mounting bolt.

The drawing is confusing because they don't show a circle for the optional holder, only a dashed line centered with the mounting bolt. The circles they show are only for the standard holder positions (3 mm forward and 3 mm rearward from center).
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)