Upper Tubes not level in tripple clamp
  • tmccarthy182

Upper Tubes not level in tripple clamp

by tmccarthy182 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Hello, I have tried searching all night but haven't seemed to find anyone mentioning this issue (if it is an issue).
    I have a 2007 crf250r with stock Suspension.
    Whenever I remove my front tire and put it back on, the front axle always seems to need a little force to get it through both forks. I double check the height of the upper Tubes in the tripple clamps, and I make sure they are exactly the same height. Today I decided to see if maybe the entire fork could be a different length than the other. I put just the axle on, and before pushing it all the way through, I looked at the level of the axle to the other forks axle hoke. It looked a little low in the hole, so I lowered the right fork by about 2 millimeters in the tripple clamps. I pushed the axle through and this time it moved in smoothly with no force.

The top of the tubes are now slightly different levels in the tripple clamps, by 2 millimeters or so. Is this okay, or should I still make the tubes the same level in the top of the tripple clamps since I've never had noticeable issues while riding before?
    Or could this be an issue?
    I've replaced the fork seals in the past (just once on each fork to refresh the oil and seals) and never noticed any damage.

Thank you for any help
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:44 am

What has most likely happened is when you took the forks apart for servicing , you mis-adjusted the rebound nut on the shaft , the position of that determines the overall length of the fork , what i would do is just remove the forks , and turn them upside down , undo the rebound nut and compress the fork to extend the shaft , then use the holding tool to hold the shaft in place at the locknut , now remove the rebound nut from the shaft completely , while keeping the locknut in place

Now measure the distance from the shaft end to the locknut , it should be between 11-13mm , if not then adjust accordingly , put your rebound nut back on and snug it down , there should now be a gap of 1.5 - 2mm between the locknut and the rebound nut , if so then tighten the locknut down to the rebound nut and your done , if the gap is not correct then re-adjust the rebound nut and try again till the gap is correct , then tighten the locknut down to the rebound nut , do this to both forks and you should have the length set correctly and both forks should match , if they are not exact its ok , but it should only be a slight movement to get the axle to slide freely , but usually , when the tubes are set the same length the axle should just slide thru , but its ok to have to move it , but 2mm is too much of a difference

Hope that helped !
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • tmccarthy182

by tmccarthy182 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:45 am

Thank you!