CRF Fork tube size & Tripple clamp interchange for XR400
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Pic not showing up :?

I would personally go with about 380cc in each leg , make sure you set the forks upside down for a while so all the oil drains

The Manual says 408cc for each leg (outer chamber) , but 408 will be a bit stiff for off road which is why i recommend 380cc , this will soften the last part of the stroke

The overall stiffness is also dependent on what springs are in it , if its stock springs for a 250R they will be for about a 150 lbs rider , if you are over 165 i would recommend stiffer springs

Going OUT on the top (compression) clicker will also soften the ride up a bit , stock is 7 clicks out from fully in , i would go about 10 - 12 , and i think you will be happier ( this all providing you have the correct springs for your weight and ability)

The second part is the Inner Chamber , and if you are unsure what your doing , i would wait till your a bit more comfortable , with tearing the forks apart ( do it a few times , *once each season* and then you can try doing the inner chamber) , the bleeding process is a bit tricky , and unless your comfortable with it , it will be a royal pain in your butt , if you dont get it right you have to do it over and over till it works right , once you do it , its not that hard , but the first few times , its challenging to get the bleeding process right

If you have a Service Manual (either the stock Honda Manual or the Factory Service Manual ,either will tell and show (with pictures) how to do the forks completely , as well as the chock (i would recommend buying the Honda Service Manual *not the Clymer*)

The shock requires Nitrogen , but you can get it recharged at most shops for about $10 (i have my own bottle)

Hope that helped answer some of your questions

Anything more you want to know , just ask ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:39 pm

I'll look online to see if I can find infos about bleeding the inner chamber ( something I didn't do ) and I'm 150 ish weight rider so spring should be fine.
    For now I'm not touching the rear.

Sad the pictures don't show up , they are hosted on photobuckets and I can see them from many different PCs in different cities including "private Browsing" in case if the regular window remember I'm logged in.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:56 pm

If you get the Honda either Owners or Factory Service Manual ( they sell the Service Manual here) , it will tell you how to do it

If your willing to take it on , i can walk you thru it , or i can post from the Manual images here , so you can follow what to do , its not that hard once you do it , but i stress , its easy to have issues and keep getting air , and having to re-bleed the system

Usually , if the forks have been completely serviced recently , then you only need to do the outer chambers , you can do them a time or 2 before you need to do the inner , as the inner are sealed so they dont get as dirty as the outers do , kind of like the shock , you can go twice as long on the shock as you can the fork outers (unless your racing and really hard on it , then you do it several times a season for shock and forks) , i do my forks once a season ( at the end of the season during winter snow down time)

Whatever you want to do , i can give a text walk thru , or i can post images from the Manual and you can follow them , or you can do some searching in this suspension forum , i know i posted some walk thru's for a few people here , so you should be able to read thru them and get a good idea of what is needed to be done and decide weather you want to tackle it or not , i believe i posted images with them as well , so you should be able to get in some good reading

And of course , any questions you have , just ask away

Race Tech has some good videos to give you the basic idea

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/136
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho