CRF Fork tube size & Tripple clamp interchange for XR400
    mpcv2000

CRF Fork tube size & Tripple clamp interchange for XR400

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 am

Hello !
    I have a old 1999 XR400R and to update it's look I bought a Emig Racing Stem , found in my local area a set of CRF250R ( supposely ) with tripple clamps.
    I did the conversion no problem but I'm suspecting my clamps ( or forks ) to be a different model because my clamps are bolted and the 2 surface touch together like if the were ( clamps or forks ) mismatched .
    All I know is what the guy had written in his add and it said :
    CRF250R CRF450R front end.
    I got everything from wheel , caliper , forks & clamps.

It's hard for to to determine if I have what the guy said in his ad.

Forks are very stiff.

Any tricks for me to identify them ?

Last edited by mpcv2000 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 am

To post pics , you need a web hosting site to upload your pictures to like Photobucket , then take a link for your picture (try different ones and use the "preview" in the topic post to see if the images shows up before Submitting , it will show what its going to loo like in the Preview , so if you used the correct link , it will show up as the image

As far as the forks and clamps go , all CRF250 and 450 clamps and forks will interchange up to 2009 , where they used Showa forks that were 47mm , after 2009 they went to KYB and the fork diameter as well as the clamps are 48mm , what i am guessing is you have pre 2009 forks and post 2009 clamps , and that is why they do not match and the clamps are closed off before tightening to the fork tube , if the clamps were from pre 2009 and the forks from post 2009 then the tubes would be too big for the clamps

What it sounds like you will need to do is measure the tubes right below the cap on the tube itself where it goes into the clamp , and i am betting the size of the clamp will be much larger , so this means you will need to find either earlier clamps , or the KYB forks (09+) to solve your problem , about the only way to get this setup to work would be to have someone machine spacers that would make up the difference , ( it has to have a gap so it can pinch together) , otherwise , your looking at different clamps or forks

As for the forks being stiff , there are several reasons for this , first , is the 250 or 450R forks are valved stiffer than the 250 or 450X forks , what i would do is look for 250X or 450X forks , and you will be a lot happier with the ride (this is what i would recommend) , or , you can have the R forks re-valved for off road , but the tubes themselves are stiffer and you will never get the ride you are wanting as far as plushness , they will never be as plush as 250/450X forks
    Last edited by JimDirt on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 am

Excelent.
    I'll check that tonight and post my tube ( upper & lower ) dimension.

As far as picture hosting I've been using Shutterly for the past 10 years , posted loads of piuctures on many boards and only here I casn't make it work.

Anyhow I'll post my result tonight.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 am

Sorry i was editing as you posted , please re-read my reply for added content ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 am

Yeap no problem.

Here's a few pics. ( link ) so you can look at the forks but I know this won't tell you the size.

Last edited by mpcv2000 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 am

First i need to clarify that the description i gave was a "generalization" , to the fact that , the forks and clamps would either be Showa or KYB , but to be a little more specific without giving you the entire years rundown on changes , for example , the 09 (i think to 2011) 250R had Showa forks and the 09 450R had the KYB's , then air forks were also introduced on the 450's , then later on the 250's , so not all 09 up CRF forks are the same between 250 and 450 , but pre 09 , they were from at least 02 - 08 (physical dimensions back to 98 , but internals were different from 98-02 then 03-08)

it looks like you have Showa , but again , you need to measure the diameter and make sure

Also , you should be able to find a link to post the actual image itself into your post instead of just the link to the image (the link worked , but the image can still be posted into the actual post)
    Last edited by JimDirt on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 am

Tonight I'll look into that.
    When you clic on my link you see the pictures is hosted on a web site but if I copy the URL and post it here it doesn't work but if I use the same URL on any website I go the URL is working.

This evening I'll have more technical details about my forks.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 pm

You can post the actual image itself here if you copy the correct link to it , i dont know about Shutterfly , but with Photobucket and places like that , you get several "links" to choose from , for Forums , Email , Websites , etc , so you should be able to post the actual image here , not just a link to it ( i could still see the forks , but just so you know , you can post a image directly here in your post with a simple copy/paste as you did with the link , you just have to use the correct link for these forums)

Example:

Here is a pic of my 450X , below it is a link to it , like what you posted , both are available from the same location , you just have to choose which one works (you can test and find out if its correct by using "Preview")

Picture link into forum post , i use the IMG , as the link

Link to picture (like what you posted)I use the DIRECT link for this
    http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz17 ... G_1028.jpg
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm

It's weird because I use the exact same URL as the pictures here : http://m4e.com/showthread.php/160485

Anyway .
    I took the measurement and 1st they are Showa , top fork tube 52mm & tube bottom part ( where clamp pinch the fork ) 58mm .
    Looks like I have mismatched kit.
    I have to figure out if I swap forks or tripple clamps .

Showa or Kayaba ( KYB ) do they use the same caliper bracket ?

I'll look online but I think I'll go with new clamps since they were my 1st try and the stopper can sit better but by doing so my new CRF 2010+ front fender & number plate ( running no headlight ) will not work do they ?
    I think 2009 or 2010+ they changed where the front fender bolt for a new look I guess .

You are very knowledgeable thatnks for all your help .

I took pictures but I don't feel like hosting my pictures on another web site so I won't try to post any.lol
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 pm

OK so screw my new fender & number plate ( that I haven't received yet ) they'll go up for sale and I'm getting ready to order some 2002 CRF450R triple clamps off eBay so I'll redo my stoppers that are slightly off and buy some used CRFX fork springs.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:32 pm

You should be ok with the newer fender , you just have to drill 2 holes to make it line up , people do this all the time to update the look of their 08 or older bikes , as far as plate goes , most people switch to the Cycra Stadium Plate for the X , but if your using R clamps , then i believe with little effort you can make the 10 plate work

As far as getting another set of clamps , if your going to do that then i would TRY to find a set of 08 clamps ( the ones with the Honda Dampener mount) they are 22mm offset instead of 24 like all other year R's (up to 09) as well as the X's , i believe the same holds true for the 250R clamps for 08 , they are harder to find , but if you do find them , you will be happier with the steering , it will steer quicker , if your using the bike for tight single track , it will rid the bike of a lot of the push it has ( not all of it as the rest is caused by the weight of the bike)

But if you cant find any or just dont want to wait to find them , then the 02-07 R clamps are usually pretty plentiful and fairly cheap , note that different year R's have different stops and number plate mounting poles (bottom clamp) and mount hole (top clamp) , so you may have to improvise to keep your clamps from hitting the tank during end to end throw , and when trying to mount whatever plate you decide to use (just something to look at when assembling and checking fitment)

The springs will be the same for the R and the X (as long as they are both 450's) , the plushness is from the valving and the fork tubes themselves , also X springs are slightly shorter than R springs (about 10mm shorter) so it can change your Free Sag slightly

By the way , nice looking bike ....and shop/garage =D>
    Last edited by JimDirt on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 am

Thank you very much for your help.
    I found locally a set of clamps from a CR250R 2005 for $40.00 cdn so I'll jump on those and if I ever find another set like the one you suggested I'll swap them over.
    This is easy to do .

Thanks a million and I'll update the thread when the job is done.
    Martin !
    The men's cave..
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:47 am

No problem , glad to help ! ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 am

Also , in answer to your question about the caliper (missed the question the first time ) , the 02-04 Showa uses one caliper mount , the 05+ uses a different one ,but i believe the caliper itself will interchange between the 2 , but i THINK the caliper is the same for either Showa and KYB , which is what is important , but the fork lug ( where the axle goes thru) is a different offset (back farther i believe 02-04 , then 05+ Showa) so the caliper mount is longer i think , as long as the caliper mounts up and the axle spacers are correct you should be ok as far as i know

Hopefully i did not confuse you :?
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    mpcv2000

by mpcv2000 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:42 am

I may have one more question while I wait for my triple clamp to show up.

I have replaced fork seal and put new oil in them but it was the 1st time I was working on this type of fork .

I'm not sure if I drained them correctly or if I filled them correctly .
    I put 340cc per leg but reading online looks like there is another part to drain and like I said I've been told my forks were CRF250R 2008 but I have no way to confirm that.

If I overfilled them this maybe why they are stiff . :oops:

Here's a actual picture of my fork when I took them apart to replace seals .

Martin !
    The men's cave..