DONT TRUST HONDA INC. WHEN IT COMES TO BACKING THIER PRODUCT
  • motoman222

DONT TRUST HONDA INC. WHEN IT COMES TO BACKING THIER PRODUCT

by motoman222 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:15 pm

I bought my son a new honda crf250r fuel injected bike last march. we started noticing that we were going through clutch packs real quick, and no my son dosnt feather the clutch, and then 2 weeks ago i was changing the oils on it and had a hard time getting the transmission drain bolt out. when i did all kinds of medal shavings came out. to make a long story short, our stock factory clutch basket shattered and tore apart the clutch side case and the inner hub as well as the clutch pack. put a crack in the case and peices went into the trans. side and ruined stuff there too. honda said sorry we might be willing to help with a couple hundred in parts, but thats it. UNBBELEIVABLE!!!!
    We have found out that there is three other people that have had this same thing happen to them, with the same result from honda... BEWARE DONT BUY A 2010 OR NEWER HONDA CRF250R BIKE UNTIL HONDA IS WILLING TO RECALL THE LINE AND POSSIBLY FUTURE LINES OF BIKES WITH SAME PROBLEMS[/i]

by 124 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:34 am

So you have an 8month old bike.
    You noticed unusual wear.
    Your kid rides hard and kept running it.
    It blew up.

I don't think this is gonna go the way you want it to.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

...honda said sorry we might be willing to help with a couple hundred in parts...

im surprised their willing to help with even that. thing is after 8 months (which is pretty much a season for me) i doubt any factory is gonna back you up... lesson learned is: if in doubt, change it out. that basket should have been changed if their was any doubt about its integrity.
    2004 CRF250R
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 am

124 wrote:
    I don't think this is gonna go the way you want it to.

Hahaha...Quote of the Day!!!

Yup...no warranty...these are race bikes. You've heard of 3 failures out of 10,000 sold???

While we are all bummed to hear of your misfortune, the fact that Honda will come to the table with anything is quite a shock. Take them up on anything they will offer. If they will come through with parts, then you're only out a couple hundred bucks on the rebuild.
    motosicko

by motosicko » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am

I got lucky back in 96 and Honda stepped up and fixed my slipping clutch on a cr80, parts and labor. I had to prove that the basket casting had some imperfections, little bumps in casting that kept the plates from seating tight. It was still brand new though, if I had let it go very long they surely would have denied me, rightfully so.
    As far as the 2010 250, I have heard several issues of the inner fibers cracking causing problems. Haven't had anyone I know of here in my large group of racer friends with any issues yet. Seems to be an isolated problem, as you will find with any brand of bike. Look through other forums and you'll find disappointed owners with all kinds of different problems, from all brands. I'm not quite convinced to go changing brands yet.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 am

euromike_85 wrote:
    lesson learned is: if in doubt, change it out.

yup. had many a time in my younger days when I was thinking I can shut it down and keep the old many happy, or keep in the throttle knowing he would be pissed. Being the typical kid, I broke things more often than not.
    Official Lurker

• motoman222

Notch it up as lesson learned???

by motoman222 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:59 am

Thats what im hearing from all of you so far... The thing is this bike hadnt even been raced yet. we only started using it around mid july for a couple races. my son had another 08' 250r that he raced on, and we had no such problems with inner clutch parts failing. At first i notched it up as he was feathering the clutch too much but that wasnt the case. if you saw how the clutch packs were wearing you would understand that it could easy be overlooked. as far as a factory inner clutch basket shattering and tearing apart everything in a matter of a lap or so, well you guys are obviously more on hondas side then mine. which is totaly fine by me but they are still going to get an ear full from me.
    riddler9

Re: Notch it up as lesson learned???

by riddler9 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:37 am

motoman222 wrote:Thats what im hearing from all of you so far... The thing is this bike hadnt even been raced yet. we only started using it around mid july for a couple races. my son had another 08' 250r that he raced on, and we had no such problems with inner clutch parts failing. At first i notched it up as he was feathering the clutch too much but that wasnt the case. if you saw how the clutch packs were wearing you would understand that it could easy be overlooked. as far as a factory inner clutch basket shattering and tearing apart everything in a matter of a lap or so, well you guys are obviously more on hondas side then mine. which is totaly fine by me but they are still going to get an ear full from me.

If you had included the time/race details in your original post you may have gotten a different response. Sounds like it may have let go early, but it is still a race bike. I am not saying its right, but they get you by the short hairs when you buy knowing they do not cover competition models under warranty.
    Official Lurker

• Early Man

by Early Man » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Slow riders long clutch life, fast riders that leave their clutch alone(no feathering) long clutch life, feathering dropping the clutch leaver too fast and bang goes a plate, keep an eye on your clutch at all times. My son cooked clutches on all bikes he rode Ktm, yamaha and of course Hondas. But i have a fix he does not cook clutches anymore. oh he abuses clutches i know a bad habit i know. But hondas need more nursing then the others.