Tubliss Tires
    crazybrother

by crazybrother » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 am

ibow24 wrote:Waiting for my 18" Tubliss to arrive from Ken. Should be today. I've read older posts where it mentions to NOT use the existing hole in Honda rims. Haven't seen a reason why or if guys are using. So what's the deal? Are we using the Honda rim hole or plugging it up?

thanks
    Steve

Yeah, I used the existing holes (no need to drill) just be careful when putting on the inner liner. These things are great. Haven't had a flat since. And they hold the air much better than a tube. I also get twice the life out of my rear tire, when they round off, I just take it off and flip it around & new tire :D
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
    Satori

by Satori » Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm

just curious, anyone here running a tubliss kit on a 250R, or X for that matter? Can't really find anyone who is... most all who went Tubliss are on 450's it seems.

But, I'm just wondering how the kits work with the narrower rims and tires.

I ordered one for mine yesterday that will be going on an excel takasago 1.85 rim with a new bridgestone M404 110/80/19.

Hoping it works out to be lighter, and also seal up nicely!

Oh, and has anyone here balanced their wheel out with some lead weights to offset the lock? Did you use some on the spokes, or what?
    ibow24

by ibow24 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm

I put a Tubliss on my 250X (18" rear). I love it and will be putting one in the front when it's time for a new tire.
    Been running around 11psi in a MX51 and it's been working really nice. Seems to hook up better coming out of a turn. Seems more sure footed through the rocks.
    Should also note I had some trouble with the installation at first getting it to hold air. I sent an email to tech support at Nutech and within 20 minutes I had a replay AND THIS WAS ON A SUNDAY !!!!. He told me to go higher on the initial inflation of the bladder, up to 125psi and it worked. I later found out the gauge on my compressor is off, showing higher psi than actual.
    This was in March and I have not had ANY loss of air pressure in the tire.
    Steve
  • woxof

by woxof » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 pm

just installed one of these. Excellent support from Jeff @ Tubliss. First the rhetoric is getting a little out of hand. Tubliss weighs more than the stock tube I took out of my CRF250X '05, 18in. wheel (a Dunlop). I also weighed a brand new BikeMaster 400/425 tube. BM tube, rim lock, rim strap - total 26oz. Dunlop (w/ some Slime Left in that I couldn't clean out) 24oz. + 3oz. rim lock + 2oz. rim strap. = 29oz. Tubliss w/ rim tape 32oz. I don't see tire changing being any easier. Of course this was the first install but look at the video and note how you have to use a special plate to push the entire rim into the tire. You then simply use two tire irons at once while pushing down on the tire. Not with a Dunlop Geo Max M51. It was preheated with an heat gun also, I eventually sat on the tire and rolled it with my butt on it as I tried to force the wheel in to the tire. Now you have to mount both sides of the tire without the benefit of one lip of the tire in the tire well. Why all the drama? Because the wheel well is filled with a very stiff inner liner.Think of installing a tire with the inner tube on the rim. A normal installation would allow you to just push the one side of the tire on the rim - no tire irons. You can' do that with the Tubliss in the way. It may a great boon to Westerners hitting rocks at high speeds but as a 66 year old dirt biker and former Bultaco shop owner I have lived and ridden in AZ,WY,ID,WA and LOT of OH riding I've only had one dirtbike flat. A few trophies tho.. Maybe the lower tire pressures will offset the cost and headaches but you CAN install two rim locks instead.
    Satori

by Satori » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 am

Huh, VERY interesting about your weights because they seem to completely conflict with mine.

I ended up doing tubliss 19“ rear last year on my 250r, and also replaced a 100/90/19 IRC 57M with a new Bridgestone 110/80/19 M404 at the same time.

The weights I have jotted down in my maintenance logs say IRC-1X Heavy duty tube with nuts I took out was 3lb 0oz. 1.85 rim lock + alu nut + rubber 19" rim strip was 5oz
    Tubliss 19" full kit was 1lb 13oz.

and side note, my old IRC mud tire was 10lb 15oz, and the new larger size B'stone was 11lb 12oz, and when weighed altogether on rim I still ended up losing nearly a half pound total WITH a new and larger tire.

But, I will say to my dismay, lately I've been loosing tire pressure in just a few days now... tubliss bladder holds air no prob, but I've developed a slow leak somewhere in tire or rim. Considered addint a bit of stans sealant to it from my mountain bike.

woxof wrote:just installed one of these. Excellent support from Jeff @ Tubliss. First the rhetoric is getting a little out of hand. Tubliss weighs more than the stock tube I took out of my CRF250X '05, 18in. wheel (a Dunlop). I also weighed a brand new BikeMaster 400/425 tube. BM tube, rim lock, rim strap - total 26oz. Dunlop (w/ some Slime Left in that I couldn't clean out) 24oz. + 3oz. rim lock + 2oz. rim strap. = 29oz. Tubliss w/ rim tape 32oz. I don't see tire changing being any easier. Of course this was the first install but look at the video and note how you have to use a special plate to push the entire rim into the tire. You then simply use two tire irons at once while pushing down on the tire. Not with a Dunlop Geo Max M51. It was preheated with an heat gun also, I eventually sat on the tire and rolled it with my butt on it as I tried to force the wheel in to the tire. Now you have to mount both sides of the tire without the benefit of one lip of the tire in the tire well. Why all the drama? Because the wheel well is filled with a very stiff inner liner.Think of installing a tire with the inner tube on the rim. A normal installation would allow you to just push the one side of the tire on the rim - no tire irons. You can' do that with the Tubliss in the way. It may a great boon to Westerners hitting rocks at high speeds but as a 66 year old dirt biker and former Bultaco shop owner I have lived and ridden in AZ,WY,ID,WA and LOT of OH riding I've only had one dirtbike flat. A few trophies tho.. Maybe the lower tire pressures will offset the cost and headaches but you CAN install two rim locks instead.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 am

tubes come in standard, heavy duty, and ultra heavy duty varieties. all rim locks do not weight the same either. so, varied weights are going to occur and this is why some say the tubliss weighs less and others cry foul. it really depends on what tubes and rim lock you are replacing with the tubliss. personally, i wouldn't make the decision on weight. it should be based on being able to run a lower tire pressure while still avoiding pinch flats AND in the rare case a flat does occur being able to ride with the flat without having the tire run off the rim (assuming the flat is in the tire and not the inner tube).
    Last edited by crfsonly on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by crazybrother » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 am

crfsonly wrote:tubes come in standard, heavy duty, and ultra heavy duty varieties. all rim locks do not weight the same either. so, varied weights are going to occur and this is why some say the tubliss weighs less and others cry foul. it really depends on what tubes and rim lock you are replacing with the tubliss. personally, i wouldn't make the decision on weight. it should be based on being able to run a lower tire pressure while still avoiding pinch flats AND in the rare case a flat does occur being able to ride with the flat without having the tire run off the rim (assuming the flat is in the tire and not the inner tube).

Very well said Ken, agree completely and yes , you can ride it back to the truck. on a tire flat.
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
    kallekula

by kallekula » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 pm

I need to test this system next time i place a order to CRFS only. I run alot of rocks and mud in competition with low tirepressure and risk of getting a flat. This migt be what I looking for.....
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:52 am

I run alot of rocks and mud in competition with low tirepressure and risk of getting a flat.

It is what you're looking for. The Tubliss system has no negatives. They're a liitle expensive right out of the chute, but that's it.
    Someone mentioned only having one dirt bike flat. Ok.
    That is a miracle from God if a guy who rides a lot is doing so in an area with lots of rocks,sharp ones, is the one who's only had one flat.Miracles do happen.
    Regardless, if that sad day the gentleman had had a Tubless set-up he wouldn't have been walking, or even wrenching if he so desired.
    Chuck Sun is a pretty good rider (Duh!:))and he loves them. He finished up the last 20 miles of some event he rode in and didn't even know he'd had a puncture. That's a ringing endorsement, I'd say. Doug
    Satori

by Satori » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Does anyone here know if the valve core is removable from the tire pressure valve (not the bladder valve)??

I think mine is fubar'ed!!?
    Satori

by Satori » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Satori wrote:Does anyone here know if the valve core is removable from the tire pressure valve (not the bladder valve)??

I think mine is fubar'ed!!?

well, found my answer and managed to figure everything out! woot!

Valve core tool wasn't doing anything, would just spin, leaving me baffled. I even went and bought a different valve core tool that looked like it had deeper grooves, but still nothing! That's what lead me to ask the question here, and also direct to Jeff @ Nuetech's email (whom replied lightning fast saying they are in fact removable!)

So, I aimed a flashlight down the stem and took a picture with my camera phone (since I cannot fit my head in the spokes to see!), and I could then clearly see the valve core in there appeared to be missing the part that sticks up with the flats on it for the valve core tool to bite... Looked like it had been sheared off perfectly smooth!
    So, after some trial and error with a few different frustrating methods, I ended up easily getting the remnants out with a small “EZ Out“ type extractor.

Then, after all that unforeseen headache, I used a Stan's NoTubes injector syringe to pump in a few ounces of Stan's NoTubes latex sealant to cure my slow leak issue I'd been dealing with. Then installed a new valve core and pumped up to ~30psi just for it all to seal while I spun the tire for awhile to disperse sealant evenly.
    So far so good! Stoked this is working out without having to remove or replace anything!