lost my nerves!!
  • crf450xrider1391

lost my nerves!!

by crf450xrider1391 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:51 pm

hey i need some help.... how do u over come your fear of big jumps?? i can jump and stuff but the big jumps always freak me out. does anyone have any ideas on how to prepare for them or get over the fear and just do them?? thanks for the help! :( :? :!:
    BRRaaaPPP!!! #4x
  • redrider911

by redrider911 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:09 pm

there have been a few. I try to watch an "A" rider to learn what part of the jump he is hitting and his body positioning. then i peg it wide open and close my eyes!!
    Just kidding. use that line and body position and keep jumping faster and faster until you can clear it.
    dlpmx

by dlpmx » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:42 pm

just remember It's better to go long than to come up short.

Dale
    All mods listed in the Garage
    <-----
  • honda_rules_2005

by honda_rules_2005 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:29 am

Thats right, if your not confident in doing the jump don't do it unless you want two brocken wrists like me! :(
    I broke then doing a 75ft double and just didn't make it. :evil:
    07 CRF450X
    Pro cercuit T-4 system.
    JD jetting kit,
    Hotcams stage 2 cam,
    CP 13:01 piston,
    Head modified with oversized Billet titanium CRN couted valves allround, ampco45 copper seats and guids with spring set.& also heavilly ported.
  • EWP Zoul

by EWP Zoul » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:52 pm

Try to find a single jump to practice on. Once you get use to the hang time of launching off the single, then clearin a doubble is easy
    EWP Zoul
    2004 CRF 450R #19
    Works skid plate
    1990 YZ250

If it ain't broke.....
    You are not riding it hard enough!!
    mprentice

by mprentice » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:40 pm

Practice, practice, practice....

That's the only way I've become more "comfortable". I've still got a long way to go before I can say I am truly "competent". But, I do a little bit more, a little bit farther each time. I even experiment with my body positioning, throttle position, and speed. My biggest challenge has been keeping my speed and not chopping the throttle just before launch. But I have learned, speed is my friend. Especially with the extra pork of the 450X.

It's funny how big those jumps look when your coming up on them isn't it? They sure don't look that big from the sidelines.
    '05 CRF450R, '12 CRF250R, '09 Suzuki DRZ400SM
  • lightningrc

by lightningrc » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:56 am

I used to be quite crazy at jumps around 10 years ago , im the same just dont have as much bottle no more .

But like some one said keep practising get a little faster every time , before you know it you will be up there and not relise.
  • bombed crf250

by bombed crf250 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:47 am

watch sum 1 else do it a couple of time that is a more experienced rider than yourself then just try it at the pace you think is right(usaully a little faster than the rider you watched)than hit it and see what happens
    lol...good luck
  • cr125racer

by cr125racer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:18 pm

HI ,
    i have a two-stroke but i used to ride my dads 450.
    with a four-stroke you have to be on the trottle almost all the ramp.

i agree with the guy that said you have to watch someone else before you try it.

what i do is try to go faster than the guy i watched then take the jump as a personal goal.
    then jump it and think im going to clear it perfectly and you have to try not to come short.

good luck and take care.
    ((((BoLiChE)))) ;)
  • ccmoran

by ccmoran » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Practice, Practice, Practice will help overcome your fear of not clearing the distance needed. One of the biggest issues to have is good judgement on speed to clear the needed distance, then you will build up confidence again. Remember you want to land on the down slope of the landing jump, not the flats. Landing on the flats means you had to much speed and you will experience a bone jarring landing. Maintain your needed speed and make sure you don't chop the throttle as you leave the lip of the ramp.

Most on important thing about clearing doubles, triples and t-tops is compressing the suspension before leaving the take off jump.

So, learn your speed needed(appropriate gear 2nd or 3rd), maintain your speed, compress your suspension and you will be flying.

Now, do you know what to do if you are nose up or nose down in the air?? This is something else you will need to learn how to correct while in the air. This will save your butt one day once you have it mastered.
    Thanks,

Chris

2007 CRF450X
    Steahly Flywheel Weight
    Engine Ice
    SRC High-Pressure Radiator Cap 1.6
    Air Box Mod
    CYCRA PRO-BEND RACER PACK
    WC Radiator Braces
    WC Rear Master Cylinder Guard
  • madman

by madman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 pm

go on then ...we're all waiting. What do we do to correct the bike to land 'sweet'?
    rides; '06 CRF250R
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:06 pm

madman wrote:go on then ...we're all waiting. What do we do to correct the bike to land 'sweet'?

Panic Rev...
  • Hale701

by Hale701 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:32 am

madman wrote:go on then ...we're all waiting. What do we do to correct the bike to land 'sweet'?

Nose up: Nail the back brake, or use your left boot to hook the side number plate. Pulling the rear up, and shifting your body forward.

Nose dive: Panic Rev , or bail! Hahaha! I did do one thing, and it worked. My bike jumped out of gear while I was seat bouncing a jump, and I panic reved while shifting it into second. It worked! It may also work if you panic rev and continually pop the clutch, making it jerk the front up. :-k
    dirtbikermicah

by dirtbikermicah » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:18 pm

this is what i do: first jump a little to evaluate what speed you should hit it, then each time you jump it try to go a little further till you hit the ending! it works for me!
    Pain only lasts for seconds. glory lasts forever.
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:05 pm

What a great thread. I can go slow, go fast, turns are getting better, whoops are just plain fun, but when it comes to jumping, that's where I lose all of my cool points. I'll have to try some of the tips you all posted on here, and hopefully will begin to put it all together here.

Thanks,
    Chris
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?