lost my nerves!!
    braap207

by braap207 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:54 am

:D Heck yeah there are so many different ways to hit a jump its kinda mind bogling, Man thing I would have to recommend for new guys is not to over due the body movement during jumps, I see alot of new guys trying to pull the bike along with them, remember your riding the bike and its under your master control, Try to hit the jump steady and straight, if you feel out of control before the jump... Brakes, its better to roll it than get hurt, check you 6 to make sure you don't have another CRF knocking on your back door first :twisted: Once you get used to jumping a nice double you can step it up and try seat bouncing it where you sit down as you ride up the face, this will give you more hieght and distance on short runs, or scrubbing, which is just the opposite, you will pre-load the rear shock right before your front tire starts the up hill section of the jump, by teh time you get to the crest of the jump your shock will have let all its rebound out, I'd only practice this on table tops, it can be dangerous :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
  • docwagoner

by docwagoner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 am

If I am working up to something, I'll watch a few other guys to see if they are seat bouncing, etc. Next I'll trail a few bike lengths behind them to find what speed their hitting it at. I make note of the gear, and where I'm at in the throttle, and what line to use. For safe measure, I usually add a little to the speed on my first true attempt at clearing the jump.
    Last edited by docwagoner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    braap207

by braap207 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:14 am

8) Just a quick note for new riders, Never look at a line or rutt on the face of a jump, there is something strange that happens to beginners, when they watch lines and rutts the ground has a strage way of pulling then down into them, look out ahead of the rutts and lines, keep your head up and charging forward!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    jlee_evans

Re: lost my nerves!!

by jlee_evans » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 pm

crf450xrider1391 wrote:hey i need some help.... how do u over come your fear of big jumps?? i can jump and stuff but the big jumps always freak me out. does anyone have any ideas on how to prepare for them or get over the fear and just do them?? thanks for the help! :( :? :!:

I've never jumped a bike real far yet, but quads I have. This would apply to either, the first time hitting a large jump requires the following...

NO fear of what you are about to do/or at least very little

NO second thoughts half way on the approach

NO doubting yourself (this is a big one, got me hurt more than once), believe it or not, if you go at the jump knowing you can do it and you have it in the bag, it usually goes pretty well because subconscious experience takes over

And at least try and get a speed estimate/gear rpm range and so on if it's a really big one.

What a lot of people tell you, keep going farther and farther until you clear it... well, apparently they haven't jumped a double, a table top works well with this method, but a double... it will get you killed, it's either go or no go there :)

Goodluck, and have faith in yourself!
  • rsreynolds

Re: lost my nerves!!

by rsreynolds » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

Try to remember that the bike can jump and land on just about anything. The biggest limiting factor is the rider. The more you know and 'become one' with the bike, the better you'll be at everything. This is coming from a guy that has always ridden big 4-strokes that tend to go where they want to go. Remember to hang on - that helps!