camelbak hydration.
    Rocky Mountain Rider

by Rocky Mountain Rider » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:56 am

Being in the military and in the desert currently they are preaching about hydration. We even get a camelback given to us for that purpose. They say that your body will absorb 1 quart per hour. Something I do if I know I am going to be out on a hot day is put my bladder (for the camelback) in the freezer the night before. Make sure the drinking tube is free of water (I have broken one of those before learning that). The next day you will have a constant supply of nice cold water and it will also help keep you cool if you wear it under you chest protector. A word of advice...make sure you lay it flat in the freezer. I learned that one the hard way too.

Hondafan...I have a couple of camelbacks that I use that are all kinds of weird colors that were at one time science projects. Clean em out real good with soap and water and there shouldn't be any problems. Camelback also makes their own cleaning solution that is a buck or so for 4 tablets. Works pretty well, but won't get the color back.
    '04crf150f

by '04crf150f » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:24 pm

The military used to throw those things at us for deployments to the middle-east. Bleach is a big NONO eats the plastic so you're drinking broken down plastic and your tasty poweraid , Hot water and soap. PS the big camelbak will hold about 1/4 beer shy of a 6 pack, but you get drunk pretty fast.

I have a question concerning this last reply, how come at boot-camp, when they issued us our canteens they made us clean them out with bleach water and then rinse them in plain water. watsup with that then
    Chase Cullinan
    In2deep

by In2deep » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:13 pm

a canteen and a camelback are made of 2 completely different materials.
  • torregh81

by torregh81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:14 pm

I live in canada but u can get those at costco for like 20 bucks cheap eh the eh is kinda ironic :roll:
    GhostX

by GhostX » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Camelback is an excellent product, as I have used them for several years mountain biking. Hands free beverage service, and "a great place to put your keys!"

Whilst getting back into off road bikes again, I bought another backpack hydration system by OGIO, which was on sale for $39.95, at Cycle Gear in San Marcos, CA. The pack is very comfortable, and I like the bladders capability to open all the way at the top (makes ice loading easy, and easier to fit under the water spigot of my fridge) and it has a great "bite valve." The bite valve is nice because you can snap it "on" or "off" with your teeth, and arrive with your bladder still filled with liquid.

Just my 2 cents. :D
    2006 CRF230F

See the list of Mods in My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... le&CID=190
  • kingofthewoods

by kingofthewoods » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:56 pm

3 words man, Camelcak cleaning kit works wonders
    crf450x, skid plates, enduro engineers hand gaurds, trail tech, Hammer head goodies, Renthal 52T.

R.I.P Dan Osman, a man with a death wish to live.
    "fortuna favet audaces"
  • ThumperX

by ThumperX » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Or you can buy new bladders from wal-mart for $8 when they start to get a stintch.
    05' CRF250X
    07' CR250R
    02' CRF450R
    GhostX

by GhostX » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 pm

kingofthewoods wrote:3 words man, 1. Camelcak 2. cleaning 3. kit 4. works 5. wonders

Ummmm.....1,2,3,4, uhh, 5. No, no, again.

Ummmm.....1,2,3,4, uhh, 5.

2+3=5

1+4=5

2+2+1=5

Ten words man: I was just thinking, thats more than three words, man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe instead of a "dickshunary" you need an "abakuss." :P :P :P
    2006 CRF230F

See the list of Mods in My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... le&CID=190
    gal8x

by gal8x » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:24 am

Ebay I another great source for Camelbaks. I just picked up a brand new Mule for $41.55. Not bad for $116 pack.
    I checked today and there were 470 hits for ‘Camelbak’ gear.
    DezertTim

by DezertTim » Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 am

another tip. i just got into this whole bike thing, but ive been snowboarding since i was a kid. i have a winter specific camelback that i think is best for the desert. it has a neoprene sheath over the entire length of the tube to insulate it from freezing, and the mouth piece has a rubber cover over it for the same purpose, but it also keeps it clean from dust and dirt. the only thing i dont like about riding with a camelback is that under the chest protector is weird and uncomfortable, and over it seems to limit mobility some.
    2007 crf 250x
    2008 crf 450x
    2002 cr250r
    2003 chevy silverado/ camburg long travel
    2004 audi s4
    kallekula

by kallekula » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 am

Camelbaks are great but USWE are even better. The fit is exellent (better and thighter than Camelbak)and there is bladders to change after each ride. Used by Enduro champions. Handsfree kit working very well including quick release from helmet.
    I have used it for a year now and my wife use it when she biking and trailrunning so I bougt one for her too.
    I hope its ok to give you the link.
    http://www.uswe-sports.com/index.php/pr ... motorcycle
  • Dirtclod

by Dirtclod » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I had a 100 oz hydration but I lost the filler cap it was old. I bought a new one and all this time I thought I bought a 100 oz but it's a 70 oz for over a year I was thing man I'm sure drinking a lot of water fast! I was drink less water can you say duh. Well I found the filler cap now I'm using it again all is well.
    Color me gone!
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:07 am

kallekula wrote:Camelbaks are great but USWE are even better. The fit is exellent (better and thighter than Camelbak)and there is bladders to change after each ride. Used by Enduro champions. Handsfree kit working very well including quick release from helmet.
    I have used it for a year now and my wife use it when she biking and trailrunning so I bougt one for her too.
    I hope its ok to give you the link.
    http://www.uswe-sports.com/index.php/pr ... motorcycle

I recently purchased the H4 (biggest USWE makes). The notion of disposable bladders is different. It is barely large enough to hold the essential tools and a small snack, but I plan on sticking with it long enough to give it a fair shake. One thing that really ticked me off is I also purchased the handsfree add-on kit. The description does not say that you need to purchase the quick coupling set separately, so in the end the kit cost me $65 with the additional shipping for the second order. Anyway, looks like a good idea and I know it is the most popular system for hard enduro (Erzberg, etc.) so I expect it will be fine. Side note: USWE is the OEM for the Leatt hydration systems (same stuff, just different color).
    Official Lurker