450x suspension tweaks
  • Furmanski

450x suspension tweaks

by Furmanski » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Has anybody re valved a 450x with great results? Here is why I ask.

I have recently started to ride track with this bike twice a month. The suspension mods so far include a heavier shock spring (5.7), heavier fork springs .48 (factory connection), oil lock collars (factory connection) and I run an extra 3cc of fluid in each fork leg + 3cc of fluid in each fork leg. The 3cc and clicker setting are from an article when an 2005 got dialed in by the honda suspension guys (and they work well on different terrain).

This set up works great for desert, singletrack and some woods and ok for track. It is plush enough in the begining of the stroke and the lock collars help with bottoming.

I am however going to change fluids and seals shortly and was considering inserting factory connection mx spring seats, kashima floating pistons, and a larger bladder cap out back (for higher bladder volume).

I am curious to know if anyone out there has successfully had a revalve done to help on the track with the big hits while still allowing off roading (trail) riding without knocking your filling loose.

I am really pleased with the current set up and just want some added confidence on the big stuff. Like a flat landing and so on.

Any advice?
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I have done a revalve and springs for my weight and LOVE it on the track, I went more for an MX valving with a little more plush on top with 1 rate stiffer springs than reccomended and it works GREAT for trail and pretty good for track. You're never going to get a bike, especially a heavy X to be great at both, but to me, great at one and good at the other is just fine.
  • Furmanski

by Furmanski » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will propably re valve with mx settings when It goes in for the fluid and seals.
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I wouldn't mess with changing a bunch of parts like you mentioned before, just a revalve with the right springs will get you the same benefits
    dlpmx

by dlpmx » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 pm

I did Racetech gold valves and eliminated the mid valves and it worked great until I gained 50 lbs.

Dale
    All mods listed in the Garage
    <-----
    dlpmx

by dlpmx » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 pm

sorry doubled clicked
    All mods listed in the Garage
    <-----