MX starts
    braap207

MX starts

by braap207 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 am

I thought I would share some things I've learned over the years when it comes to motocross dirt and concrete starts. Since these are only tips no one take offense to my hole-shot winning technic 8) If your new to MX and are going to enter your first race practice starts, not once, not twice, do it A LOT ;) The start may be one of the most important parts of your race day, many can ride fast but its easy to defend your position rather than fight for one :arrow: So for dirt starts check out what the line looks like, first part of the day it may be deep and loamy, watch how the fast guys are starting, it helps to actually watch people start rather than try and make your own technic. For dirt starts I get all the way up on the tank, stand straight up and down and this is wear I may get in trouble... Depending on your sanctioned event distance from the gate is my winning key, I start as far away from it as possible without turning to many heads, a good 1.5 foot is about right, unless its AMA sanctioned, they will be happy to walk down and tell you to move forward, if not your golden! After you give the head nod that you are ready and the board flips slowly let out your clutch until you feel the bike wanting to move forward, since your clutch is engaged you will not need to just DUMP it... If you watch the gate crew is normally the same each drop, 3-4 or 5 seconds, by the time the gate is moving towards the ground you should be within 2 inches of it, with any luck your forward momentum will not have to be stopped at 6 seconds :evil: This is a tried and true way of doing it, cheating, nope, we all start behind the line, I'm just faster getting to the first corner :P For concrete I simply get in my normal position, standing up over the tank then slide back about 6 inches or more, gets you a little more bite on the slick stuff, but when you hit the dirt be ready! As far as where to put your legs, I put both legs in front of the pegs, BOTH, not one, As you pass over the gate you should be reaching for a gear and sliding back on the back tire as fast as possible to get it planted deep in the dirt! Then you just have to GO FAST! PS if you moved up to a 450 this year don't try starting in 1st, thats for towing only 8)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    befree

by befree » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Just don't get your tire caught UNDERNEATH the bar as it comes down. That can ruin your day. :oops: Otherwise, good report!
    Now a firm believer in neck braces! Don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts...
  • mxer51

by mxer51 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:05 am

A nice little trick once you have practiced it, is to grap a gear with your heal as you are bringing your foot up to the peg. Saves time over bring your foot up then shifting with your foot.
  • SeanM327

by SeanM327 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

that was a great write up. ive never tried to start in first geat. ive always found first gear useless. even on 125s back in the day i started in second. it worked well for me.
  • Gskii

by Gskii » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

Ok I know this is an old thread... but I have a question about starts. I'm wondering how you shift when it is a long start. Mainly wondering what you do with the throttle and clutch. for example, do you let off the gas at all? or do you pull the clutch but not let off the gas, or what?

What's the best way to speed shift?