Securing Your Bike in the Back of Your Truck
  • Vcandito

Securing Your Bike in the Back of Your Truck

by Vcandito » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 am

Hey Everyone,

I know this seems like a "dummy" topic for the more experienced people, but I work in Auburn, Ca and see a lot of dirt bikes tied down in the back of trucks way wrong. Well, I guess there really isn't a right or a wrong way to do it but I just want to give my input (a.k.a vent) :) The way I tie my bike down is with the front tire just to the right of the drivers seat (in the back of the truck, du'h). I then loosely secure the tie downs to the bike (so it won't fall over :oops: ) I then pull the rear of the bike to the right, thus leaving the perfect amount of room to close my tailgate. I place a 4x4 block between my front tire and the front fender so the forks compress about an inch or so (this works a whole lot better than the cheesy plastic ones they sell). I pull the tie downs tight, but not too tight. Also while tightening the tie downs level your bike, I judge off the seat. With the left over strap (of the tie down) I tie a loop knot just bellow the locking system of the tie down (either racheting or pull type) this prevents the tie downs from coming loose. And there you have it, a bike that will not fly out, come loose, or end up on the side of the road while your hauling rear. I know a few people are skeptical about placing a block between the front tire and fender, this works for me and I've never had a problem with it. Even when I hit a 30 mph turn doing 80 got sideways and just about lost control of my beloved truck, a change of underwear was in order after that :lol:

I also believe in closing the tailgate of my truck with two dirt bikes in the back. This is accomplished by having both bikes almost as far to each side (of truck bed) as possible. Then turn the front tires of each bike tworads the middle of the truck and make them touch each other. Then push the rear tire's as far to the outside (of the truck bed) as possible. This is also a good way to keep the handle bars from hitting each other (if done properly) and the tailgate will close with out a problem. Using this system I had two 450r's (with sand tires) in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed. We made record time to Sand Mountain!

Thanks for reading this post, I know I lack certain grammar skills and this post may be hard to decipher but please bear with me. I am always looking for new ideas for keeping that bike in the back of my truck so don't hesitate leave your input and poke holes in my method. :D

RideHardRideSmart

-V-

P.S- I will include a picture later to clear up my terrible descriptions ;)
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 am

I found this in a previous post. I use it, and mine NEVER moves.

[quote="ncj01"]

the most secure way to carry a bike in the bed of the truck does not require the compression of forks....

1) Angle the front tire into one of the front corners.

2) put one strap to the other front corner

3) put the other strap to the BACK corner (same side of truck as front tire is stuck into)

4) the tailgate should touch the rear tire when closed

5) bike is rock solid secure, forks are totally uncompressed. Bike is wedged into the corner, front wheel can't move, bike can't fall left or right. I've done 4-wheel drifts on pavement with this setup with zero problems.

The only things these photo's don't show is my tailgate up.

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
  • Vcandito

by Vcandito » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:51 am

YEa I just read that actually. Haha, I just hate seeing a bike like that. Makes me nervious, I'll give it a try any how. "Before you knock it, try it first" <- Ben Harper.
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 am

You'll be surprised how secure it really is. We hit some pretty good ruts on the way out to the Poker Run, and she didn't move an inch. And the way the roads are out here in 29 Palms, if it was gonna move, it would! Enough to shake fillings loose, but the bike is solid as a rock. I was kinda doubtful myself, but after trying it, it's amazing, and really no compression on the forks. All you do is snug it up, and you're ready to roll out!
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:29 pm

This is easy for you folks with only one bike, but last year, my dad and I hauled my old 05 250x, a 03 yz125, a 03 xr100, a 04 crf70 and last of all a 04 crf50. That is two full sized bikes, 1 medium and two small all in a f250 withan 8 foot bed. And the tailgate was closed! :shock:
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Got a photo of that Woodsman? Have to say that would be pretty cool to see!!!
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Sorry nope. And probably won't for a while. We only haul all our bikes once a year, but I will probably be going to Reiter for my b-day on november 17(my b-day is really the 18 but we are going early) and will try to get some pics. :D

We loaded the two big bikes on either side and sandwiched the 100 and 70 in the middle. The 50 was put in sideways behind the 100 and 70. Only broke two spokes on the 100 when the footpeg on the 70 smashed into it while pulling the tiedowns and ropes tight. :D
    Currently, 05 450X
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:25 pm

Just picturing that is pretty neat. Just a big old dirtbike sandwich!!
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Yep. Hope you're hungry! :lol:
    Currently, 05 450X
  • Vcandito

by Vcandito » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:06 pm

It took me a while, lol
    !RideHardRideSmart!RIPBJ. Listed as A Wreckless Individual.
    kena48

by kena48 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:08 am

Here's a tip too. Leave your riding boots on until the bikes are in the truck and ready to go.

I fell off my trailer last week trying to tie down a bike and my all my toes went in different directions inside my shoe.

OUCH! my foot was black and blue! It's been three weeks and it still isn't back to normal.
    2007 CRF450X; JD Kit, Airbox & Sides, Smog, Exhaust

http://picasaweb.google.com/kena48/Motorcycle
    JAWS

! Toe Jamb??? :)

by JAWS » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 am

kena48 wrote:Here's a tip too. Leave your riding boots on until the bikes are in the truck and ready to go.

I fell off my trailer last week trying to tie down a bike and my all my toes went in different directions inside my shoe.

OUCH! my foot was black and blue! It's been three weeks and it still isn't back to normal.

Ouch! Toe Jamb??? :)
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    kena48

by kena48 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:53 pm

It was probably like pulled ligaments or something. I had rode for four hours accident free and bam - it's me second loading related injury this year.

The first one was being cute and riding the bike up into the truck - which site a little high. When the front tire hit the ramp the tail gate closed and I was looking at clouds for about 1 second.

You know the rest...
    2007 CRF450X; JD Kit, Airbox & Sides, Smog, Exhaust

http://picasaweb.google.com/kena48/Motorcycle
  • honda crf150rb

by honda crf150rb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm

i know this post is kinda old but will it harm your forks if u compress them down like 4 inches when tieing your bike down in a truck. :? :oops:
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:04 pm

My best recommendation is the way I put on here already. You don't want to compress the forks too far, and DEFINITELY don't want to leave them like that for very long. The one I listed works GREAT, and involves very little compression. Just enough to snug it down, and keep it from moving when you shake it from side to side. Hope that helps!