'06+ 450x Carb drain tube routing
  • PW80Dad

'06+ 450x Carb drain tube routing

by PW80Dad » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am

Hi all,

I just put an '08 bowl on my '05 so that I can have a drain screw. Can someone post a picture of how the drain tube is typically routed? I don't see much detail in the SM.

Right now I've got it routed back with the vent tubes and zip tied, but it's getting pretty crowded back there. Figured I'd ask to see what the "right" way is. (If there is such a thing considering what I've done.

BTW - By putting the '08 bowl with an '08 AP assembly the bog is completely gone. What a huge difference. I'd done a JD Jets and the O-Ring mod previously, and the bog actually got worse (but was intermittent) although the low end was more usable for idling in first with the kids etc. Now the throttle response is insane. I can post a complete list of part numbers if anybody thinks it might help others. (let me know the best place)

... Now I just have to either adjust or replace the float needle. Gotta love pulling the carb on this thing lol.
    JimDirt

Re: '06+ 450x Carb drain tube routing

by JimDirt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 pm

I could not find a clear routing picture in the Factory Service Manual , so I just went out and took a couple pictures of my 06 , but basically , it routes with all the other hoses just between the dogbone and frame (By the looks of my pictures , I need to wash my 450X :oops: , its been sitting like that for a year , since that was the last time I rode it)

....................................................................................................................................................

Also , Did you do the Honda Competition Mod ??? (I just Scanned my copy of it) , This helps dramatically and completely eliminated every issue for me........ Though I used a HotCams Stage 1 instead of the Honda cam because I was not interested in Desert Racing , I was more interested in setting it up for Single Track , which it excels at after the mods
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • PW80Dad

by PW80Dad » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks Jim - I've seen that before, but I didn't have a copy. Appreciate the pictures too. Also nice to see that someone else doesn't wash their bike for 9 hours following every 30 minutes of riding. :)

I did a JD jet kit, but no leak jet change. Some of the other stuff in the list probably won't happen for me (cam, exhaust). My only real goal is to make the bike slow enough to ride with my kids. Sprockets this weekend - now that the idle and bog are under control.

I did a partial airbox mod. Basically I cut out the top of the airbox, but not the side, and not under the battery. I couldn't see the point in cutting out plastic behind the battery.

I measured and it looks like the open area is roughly 4 times greater than the diameter of the carb. I can't believe that there would be significant restriction at that ratio.

I did however get some of the uni 1" diameter air box plugs, and I was considering putting those in the sides.
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:45 am

The top secret leak jet mod for the X, not the R, is to pinch the leak jet closed completely.

You can't really, because while pinching and deforming it, it is hard to get the pinched end round enough to fit back in the orifice. Trying to pinch it closed blocks 80-90% of the jet, which is the desired result.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks Jim - I've seen that before, but I didn't have a copy. Appreciate the pictures too. Also nice to see that someone else doesn't wash their bike for 9 hours following every 30 minutes of riding. :)

I did a JD jet kit, but no leak jet change. Some of the other stuff in the list probably won't happen for me (cam, exhaust). My only real goal is to make the bike slow enough to ride with my kids. Sprockets this weekend - now that the idle and bog are under control.

I did a partial airbox mod. Basically I cut out the top of the airbox, but not the side, and not under the battery. I couldn't see the point in cutting out plastic behind the battery.

I measured and it looks like the open area is roughly 4 times greater than the diameter of the carb. I can't believe that there would be significant restriction at that ratio.

I did however get some of the uni 1" diameter air box plugs, and I was considering putting those in the sides.
    That is all I did was the top of the box about like you did , I did not do the sides either as around here its a lot of clay , and when clay is dry in the summer its like baby powder , so I would rather not expose the filter to that much dust/dirt ...... The cam swap was mainly done (for me using the Stage 1) to transfer all or the majority of the power usage to the bottom and mid range , since I rarely go really fast in the desert when I ride there (most guys that do the R cam mod are desert racers and are mainly riding in 4th-5th gear flat out 80+ mph), so I did not see the need for the R cam , but wanted/needed a different power output range than the stock cam offered as I felt it was extremely lax on bottom end , but good everywhere else , I wanted to be able to hop logs and have torque going thru rock gardens , so I felt the Stage 1 HotCams , was the way to go , .... and it was the perfect choice.....

The leak jet helps with the bog , I believe , as it changes the amount of fuel returning to the bowl and bypassing the AP (leardriver correct me if I am wrong) ...

For gearing , I have tried literally everything from 13/50 (stock 13/51) to 12/54 (really low) and settled on 13/52 , I can go pretty slow (walking speed in 1st gear) and still do 75mph top end , which is plenty for single track , in fact with that gearing , I rarely use 1st gear at all , mainly 2nd-3rd gear for tighter stuff and 3rd 4th for anything faster in the woods , I would suggest a 13/53 or 13/54 to ride super slow without the fear of stalling all the time (the AP stuff helps with this as well)

Watch this video , it was several years ago , but the same setup I have now (including the 13/52 gearing as I had mentioned) with the exception of a Kenda Equilibrium Hybrid tire I use now along with a Tubliss for the rear , instead of a standard knobby ...... But aside from the first 2 seconds , I never used 1st gear , even the tighter stuff , was all 2nd or 3rd gear (you can hear me shift) , and I did not use 1st gear once I go past the sign at the beginning of the video , (I was taking it easy because I was up there by myself , so I made sure to take it real easy , as you rarely come across another rider up there , so if you crash , you may be stuck up there for a few days if you get hurt) , this a a place I enjoy riding that is just outside of Boise , and I try to go at least once a year , though the last time I was there was in 2015 , a few weeks before my heart attack , (you can crank up the quality to 1080 in the settings of the video in the lower right corner) ... But this will show you how slow you can ride (even in 2nd gear) with that gearing and a bike that does not stall , this is at 5,000+ ft elevation , I am jetted for 2,500 ft , and did not have to adjust anything to ride there (I was 54 in this video)

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Yes Jim, correctamundo.
    The leak jet determines how much of the accelerator pump squirt gets diverted, or leaked, back to the float bowl inside of getting blasted into the intake bell. The higher the number, the less accel pump squirt into the bell and more is diverted.