Cooling fan
  • DiagTech

Cooling fan

by DiagTech » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Just curious. I just installed a cooling fan on my 450. Wondering what temp to set it at. Checked it at 160 to verify operation, but how much heat is to much? I'm thinking around 190-200, but.....
    Last edited by DiagTech on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Kevin
    JimDirt

Re: Cooloing fan

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

If your talking about the Trail Tech Speedo warning light setting , set it at about 210 or so , if your talking about the Temp Sender that goes in the hose , its preset to come on about 180 or 190 or so and shuts off about 175 or so

More info needed , not sure if i answered your question ... 8-[ :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • DiagTech

by DiagTech » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I just installed a Trail Tech electric fan. Just wondering what temp to set the fan to come on at.
    Kevin
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I would say set it between 180-190 , that is where i have the fan on my X come on of i remember correctly (its not a Trail Tech , i set mine up before these were available from a Ebay fan (the same fan KTM uses) and Autozone sensor and my own wiring harness) , i have a automotive fan temp sensor/switch that screws directly into the lower right radiator tank where the plug is and its preset to come on at i believe 180 and shut off at 160 if i remember correctly , i have a write-up post somewhere around this site when i first installed it back in 06 or 07 or so , and it tells the preset on/off temps of my sensor , maybe do a forum search for "Cooling Fan for 450X" , and i think it will come up , mine works perfect when riding single track , i have never overheated since installing it about 10 or more years ago

Basically set it at say 180 , if you find its coming on too often in situations you do not feel are necessary , then bump it up 5 -10 degrees , basically you want it to kick on when your going slow (walking pace) or stopped a lot , you don't need it to come on when your doing 10-20 mph as the airflow thru the radiators should be sufficient , i would also recommend installing a 1.6 or 1.8 radiator cap instead of the stock 1.2 , this will help prevent boil overs as well , also i use Engine Ice , and i would recommend something similar like it or Evans Waterless Coolant , it will up the temp before boil over by (Engine Ice for example) 50 degrees , which helps and keeps the fan from overworking unnecessarily and keep the coolant in the overflow tank instead of continuing to boil and steam out the overflow tube on the overflow tank , as once it does that , it does not recover that coolant , so you want to keep it from getting to that point

Hope that helped ... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 am

Depends if the sensor is located at the top going into the tank where it is hotter or at the bottom where it is hopefully cooler before entering motor to do it's job. Doesn't the kit give some indication of where to install and what to set it to?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • DiagTech

by DiagTech » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:47 am

I just noticed the subject of my post. I had a few beers.

Thanks, Jim. I'll start at 180 and work up a bit from there. I already have a higher pressure cap and engine ice installed.
    Kevin
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 am

Kevin , It's just a typo (you can still edit the title if you go to "Edit" on the upper right of your post) ;)

And you should be good to go then , if you already have the cap and coolant O:)

And Ray , I went to Trail Tech and read the instructions , it's pretty much 1 page and just shows where to mount things , and that's about it , it does not give any recommendations that i could see .... but i do know from experience with my fan setup i did (not Trail Tech , just parts and pieces i put together) that 180 is a good starting point , although the setup i did utilizes a sensor that is "preset" so the only option on mine would be to replace the sensor with one of a different temp , at least his is all digital , so that makes adjustment much easier , with the exception that they do not give any basic starting setups to reference .... #-o ](*,) :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho