I screwed up... BAD! Fork center bolt troubles
  • CRF2112

Re: I screwed up... BAD! Fork center bolt troubles

by CRF2112 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks again for the info, JimDirt! I got through, but they are not able to help. I was hoping to purchase a new damper rod, and not the whole assembly. They do not sell the rods according to the person I spoke to, and they say there are no aftermarket rods available. It appears my only options at this point are to win an auction for a whole used fork, or get the whole inner assembly new. It'll work for now... but I'll have more piece of mind when I get it replaced. :)
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Well that sucks , I would have thought they would have a used one laying around ..... Well , just keep a eye on eBay , any year 450X fork will work , but I believe the 450R fork leg is a different length and lug offset (trail bike/track bike) for the lower leg , the upper tube (gold) is stiffer on the R as well so it has different flex characteristics , as far as I understand ..... but the Rebound Adjuster is the same from 02-08 on the R and X , 250 and 450 but the lug (where the axle and Rebound Adjuster goes) is different as i mentioned above .Good Luck 8-[

If you have any more questions or issues , just ask ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 am

Hey Jim,
    Would this work as a complete change over?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43070
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey Jim,
    Would this work as a complete change over?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43070
    As long as everything is used including triple clamps , it "should" swap over , however , i am not sure of the steering stem length , as that "might" play a issue with a direct swap , i have not researched enough to know if Honda kept the length of the stem and bearing size the same throughout the years , i believe they did , and only moved around the location , up/down and some rake angles , of the steering head itself, but some of the rake is made up from the fork lug offset , if so , then it should not be a issue , however , if they changed any part of bearings or stem , longer , shorter , etc , then some type of either machining or special bearings would have to be located or made , or possibly shimming the stem , or machining a newer one , and/or finding a bearing compatible to fit both the stem and the head ......again , this is all based off weather any of that is actually different , from what i have found in posts about this on various sites , so far , i "believe" it can be swapped , but i can't speak from experience , as i have never tried it myself , though i had toyed with the idea of using 07 or later forks on my 02 , i never actually went that route since my latest valving i did just recently seemed to give me the results i was looking for to accommodate my Ken Roczen hand/wrist issue , its not handling like a 2018 , but its definitely handling better than it ever has and i can ride it a lot faster and harder than i ever have been able to before ......with that said , its the reason i never pursued into swapping any further

There might also be a factor based of the fork length , as different years had different length tubes as well as different offset lugs , so there is that issue as well to think about and/or measure to be sure , 02 forks are a different length overall along with offset on the lugs than the 03-04 , 02 also had the option for a 20" front wheel , then 05 suspension length is different along with different lug offset from the earlier years , also X and R fork tubes are different thickness , so flex may become a issue , especially off-road , as stiffer tubes equal stiffer ride , what factor all of that plays into actual handling issues , i can't say for sure , i know people have swapped those years mentioned , out , but that does not mean it gave the best handling characteristics compared to stock parts made specifically for the given year ..... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho