2017 crf450x questions
  • Patrick1989

2017 crf450x questions

by Patrick1989 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Just purchased a new 2017 450x. When reading the owners manual and looking at the maintenance schedule it says 1200 miles or 1 year before servicing the suspension, however while looking at the detailed fork maintenance illustrations it states after the first 3 hours of riding, the fork should be disassembled and serviced. The dealorship is closed for the next two days so I thought I would ask here. I've ridden the bike about 2 hours or so and have been taking it easy to break it in. Anyone have any knowledge of fork/suspension maintenance? I also notice the engine stalls easily at low rpm in tight technical wooded terrain. Is this an easy fix or did I purchase the wrong bike for the type of topography I will spend my majority of riding time in? Any other tips or comments for a new owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Pat
    JimDirt

Re: 2017 crf450x questions

by JimDirt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Its not uncommon to go 1 or 2 riding seasons on the same oil in the forks if your just a trail rider and not beating the bike at 80+mph thru Baja , the shock even longer , as it does not get contaminated like the forks do , so the interval for the shock is (under normal conditions) , is usually 2-3 times longer than the forks service intervals

The exception to this rule is , since its a "new" bike , the parts are breaking in and wearing in , so you will get contamination very quickly in the first few rides , so if it was changed in say 20 hours of riding , then you could go thru the rest of the season and/or longer without worries unless you have a seal go bad or something that will contaminate or create a loss of the oil , so go ahead and ride and enjoy the bike for now and after about 10 rides , do a Fork Service (it's very simple to do , as all you will be worried about is the Outer Chamber Oil , so no worry about pumping and bleeding the inner cartridge for now) , and don't worry about the shock for now it can go the entire recommended service time ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Patrick1989

Re: 2017 crf450x questions

by Patrick1989 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the info!